We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birthplace - Freddie Mercury

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
birthplace - Freddie Mercury

Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea where is exactly located Freddie"s birthplace/ native house in Zanzibar/ Stone Town?

Thanks

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

Weird. I was asking myself this same question yesterday when I heard him singing on the radio. I thought to myself: That could be a neat quasi-tourist attraction. You know, the Stone Town tour of famous people's homes... Okay, maybe not, but it would be interesting to know the answer. Anyone?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

I googled "Freddie Mercury's birthplace". There's a photo of it via Wikipedia. Maybe someone familiar with Stonetown can recognize it. Happy hunting.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,759 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

Try Tippu Tip's house, or the place that David Livingstone stayed.... might be more interesting.

I didn't know where he was born, but reading the Wikipedia article, I see his family left Zanzibar after the revolution in 1964. So, maybe the current owners don't want tourist coming round....

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

We are going to stay in Stone town four days so also looked it up. What I found out, there are two places claiming to be his birthplace, so apparently no one know for sure or won't tell. Also found out he left at age 6 year old and never returned for a visit.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

The house is located at Kenyata Road next to Shangani (Stonetown)Post Office.

At that building there are Gallery Shop and Tembo House Apartments.

Ask anyone in Stonetown will show you because the Gallery Shop is very famous and will see some poster on the wall which brief the Fred Mercury.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
47 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

based on those suggested by zou, got the following link through google maps: Zanzibar gallery, near the Shangani post office. Thanks.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

I was just there and saw the house. As great as Freddie was, it's nothing to get excited about.

Far more, spend time at the cathedral absorbing the enormity and poignancy of what it (and the buildings round it) represents....

Chicago, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

I'm not sure if it's his birthplace, but there is a sign above a door with "Mercury House" written on it near a shop called Zanzibar Secrets (Zanzibar Gallery and Gem Center are also very close) where Shangani St and Kenyatta Rd. intersect. I stayed in Paje so I got there by having my ride drop me off at Serena Hotel (which is pretty centrally located in Stone Town) and walking down to the NBC or NBA (?) Bank. The stores and what appears to have been Mercury's residence are to the right of the bank. It's a 2 minute walk from Serena.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

Was it yellow?

We definitely saw the place on the way from the Serena, so yes think it's the same place. Pretty non descript, and certainly didn't interest the guitarist in our family!

10. Re: birthplace - Freddie Mercury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2012, 14:14