We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

I'm extremely outraged by this hotel. The receptionist at the hotel blatantly told my friends and I ( we are all Black Africans)that the hotel does not accomodate black people. It's absolutely digusting that this hotel is racist and discriminates between it's guests based on colour. It should be closed down for perpetuating hate among Africans. I would appeal to anyone and everyone visiting Zanzibar to boycott this hotel, please don't support a business that practices racial discrimination!

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

It is not good if that happened.

Could you keep it more open?

When did you check in and if you have the name of the Staff who were on Duty.

Did you report this to the Manager.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Edited: 11 January 2012, 09:23
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

Thank you for your OP, and very sorry you had such an alarming experience. I am sure you will be posting a review on the hotel. But please try to keep it objective with your reporting.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

@ Zanzilandholidays: My friends and I were trying to find a booking, four of us walked in and spoke to the a gentleman who was taking care of the reception( this happened the week before christmas) and even before we got too far into the conversation, he told us he has been informed by his manager ( supposedly an Indian gentleman whose name he wouldn't give us) not to book in any black people.

@ShellyRM: I was told by the TripAdvisor Support team that since I didn't actually stay at the hotel, I can only submit a "review"/"comment" in the forum. I mean how objective more can I get after being told " Sorry no Blacks"...made me feel like I was in the old days of Apartheid in South Africa. :( ...Shelly, I'm super offended by the treatment we got and maybe we were the unlucky four that got this kind of treatment but I still don't think any entity or individual should get away with being bigots...even if it's to four people.

I can't even begin to explain how devastated I was that such things are still blatantly happening on our beautiful continent ( especially because I happen to be a black South African).

Thanks for the replies! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

I wrote to the hotel on Jan. 11 asking them about the policy and suggesting they comment here... no answer so far...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

In 2012 this is outrageous. I am going to Zanzibar in feb. I am Black and traveling solo. Ii would appreciate any advice about places to go or not to go.

6. Re: Pearl of Zanzibar Hotel - No Black Guests!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 09:21