We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

Maryland
Level Contributor
72 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

Planning 5 day Kenya safari, then another 5 days elsewhere.

One option in Zanzibar, but I am not anxious to do so if the beach experience is similar to what I'd get in the Caribbean. I don't mean the cultural experience, specifically the beach experience.

My other option is to a 180 and go to the Uganda forest for the primate experience.

I read about the white sands and clear blue waters, but that's what I've seen at the prime islands in the Caribbean.

I know these are diametrically opposed travel ideas. Any help appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,262 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

I undersand that the beaches aren't that different. If you are a diver - there is a draw, but beach is beach is beach in my book. Do something you can't do easily from Maryland. If Uganda is the option - go for it. It's said Hawaii is also just as nice as Zanzibar beaches - without the visa or the yellow fever shots.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

Having been to both the Caribbean and Zanzibar, yes, a beach is a beach. Zanzibar is interesting because the beaches (at least the East Coast where we were) have more locals on them harvesting seaweed, etc. than the beaches of the Caribbean. But a beach is a beach so unless you want to go to Zanzibar for the history/culture, you'd be better off adding in some more animal action. I would vote for gorillas hands down.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

As above. You don't mention Gorillas but plenty of us have on your post over on the Uganda forum.

You are there in December so do make sure you get your permits soon enough.

Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

We didn't think the beach in Zanzibar was any better or even as nice as some we have visited in the Caribbean and other parts of the world. So much so we wished we had not gone there and extended our safari instead.

You will probably experience many beaches in the future but how often will you get the opportunity to visit with primates in their own habitat?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

"It's said Hawaii is also just as nice as Zanzibar beaches"

IMHO, Hawaii is cleaner, better paved, better sanitation, more western, more expensive and way overdeveloped. I liked Zanzibar a lot more, but do know that there is quite a lot of slum/shanty type poverty and heaps of trash all about. I only snorkeled around Nungwi and didn't see much. Maybe diving and snorkeling in other parts of Zanzibar are a lot better.

The beaches and sand in Vietnam though, are far more fabulous than either Hawaii or Zanzibar.

Diving in the Great Barrier Reef and seeing the sea life there makes the water in Hawaii not even worth going in, except maybe to see whales.

I've never been to the Caribbean so won't comment about that.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

another option - Mafia Island, beaches and chance to swim with Whale sharks..............

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

Never been to the Caribbean so also wont comment.

The beaches in Australia are pretty good so wouldn't consider Zanzibar for a beach experience. History and culture thats a different story.

Go to Uganda.

Maryland
Level Contributor
72 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

thanks for the comment. I omitted the gorillas because my son is 12 and too young to do the trekking in the mountains (per the park regulations).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,262 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

Too young, too bad. Guess that means another trip. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are these beaches really much better than Caribbean?

Isn't Hawaii part of the richest country in the world, and Zanzibar part of one of the poorest?

Its not surprising that sanitation, paving etc is of a different standard. People who go expecting some remote paradise (with aircon and "western" plumbing everywhere) need to do some more homework.

What Zanzibar has in spades is history and culture from being a melting pot between Africa, Asia and Europe for centuries.