We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Sept 2013

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Sept 2013

My self and my girlfriend are in the process of booking our wedding in Zanzibar for September next year. With our budget (and that of friends we'd like to join us for a week) we've plumped for Sandies Mapenzi for a fortnight. Reviews seem pretty good and the photo's look good too!

Couple of things we'd like to ask if anyone knows:

1) I'm looking at booking the wedding package direct with the hotel but the photographer cost is crazy, anyone know of / recommend a local photographer that could photograph the ceremony for us?

2) We're looking at doing a couple of excursions whilst there, I understand the beach boys (lol) are the way to go, but the one we're interesting in costing up is the swim with dolphins one as this is something we've both always wanted to do!

Any other advice must see's, do's / donts would be greatly appreciated!

Darren

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding Sept 2013

Hello,

Have you asked the resort if they would mind? I think that the nature of the 'package' and doing it in this type of property is that they wont be keen on having somebody else come and take the pics or deviate too far from the preplanned schedule in our experience. Just a thought and worth a check.

As for the tours, any of the beach boys will gladly help you out on the dolphin swim but I would suggest using the desk in the hotel.

I hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding Sept 2013

Not having any experience from Zanzibar, I can say that generally wedding photography is expensive when booking via resort. You can try to search internet for wedding photographers in the area, their websites would have wedding picks that you could look at and see whether you like the photographer's style or not. They will also have references, and prices. It pays off to do research.

One of the crucial thing to look for is whether they will give you ownershop of "negatives" (which nowadays means files on CD).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding Sept 2013

this is asked once in a while on this forum... if you use the search box just above the topics - not the one on the top of the page - you can search just within the Zanzibar forum for postings - try "zanzibar photographer" and you'll find some threads...

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding Sept 2013

Will you be going back to Zanzibar to have all the photos retaken, if the cheap guy down the road doesn't deliver what you want?

Skimp on food, drink and guests, but don't skimp on the photographer. You will not be popular telling your new wife you saved $500 on this.

Check who does the dolphin trips from Unguja Resort. They are good, and get there first. Most other operators or beach boys arrive around 10am, by which time the dolphins are hacked off with people jumping in the water at them, so they leave. Waste of time and money and not good for the animals.

If you can't get there for around dawn, don't bother.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding Sept 2013

OK thanks everyone, managed to find a related post from way back re the photographer, got in touch with a lady called Aisha Gothey, who's told me that the hotel is a closed shop, only their photographer is allowed, (even though the hotel keeps 80% of the money, allegedly)...... Have spoken with the hotel and they've confirmed we cant use a local photographer, so looks like we're tied into using theirs.

Thanks for your replies everyone, will update when I have more info

:)

Darren

6. Re: Wedding Sept 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2012, 13:53
7. Re: Wedding Sept 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:15