We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever up to date info anyone

london
Level Contributor
217 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
yellow fever up to date info anyone

Hello,

I know there is a link here on ta regarding this subjest but the info is quite old and it seems conflicting sometimes.

Is anyone clear as to whether the certificate is required or not?

Accordign to the Tanzanian embassy page you only need it if:

-All persons travelling to Tanzania from countries that have Yellow Fever Endemic.(See list)

-Travellers who transit in Yellow Fever Endemic Areas, require to have a certificate if the transit period at the airport is 12 hrs or more. Travellers who while on transit leave the airport in Yellow Fever Endemic countries must have a certificate on entry to Tanzania

tanzaniahighcommission.co.uk/index.php…

So therefore if coming from Europe this should not be needed? Surely if they ask at arrival and you show the statement from the high comission they need to let you through?

The WHO list does not reccomended the vaccine either so I would rather not have it unnecesarily ...

Any info on recent experiences would be most welcome

Tks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

This question is asked every week. The final consensus is that the guy at the airport doesn't read and doesn't care about the embassy pages. There is the chance that he wants the card and you decision will be - do I want them to give me the shot so that I can go on with my travels, or do I get it done beforehand?

I always ask - if you think that in the next 10 years you are going to travel to a place that does require it, such as the Amazon, then get it done now and be done with it.

london
Level Contributor
217 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

Thank you

Mmmm...yes it just seems ridiculous when it is clearly stated on the embassy page that is is not needed...Will cost a lot for 3 of us and not only that but would rather not give my son unnecessary vaccines...(he is 10)...we will arrive at 2.45 am so surely they wont have people there at that hour checking that kind of thing????

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

I recommend you do one of the following - this is the same advice I give to everyone:

1) Get the shot and bring the yellow card.

2) Get written exemption from your doctor and carry it.

Do one of these two and you should be okay. Don't, and you may well still be okay, but you'll be nervous as you walk up to the counter and things might not go the way you want. Tanzania can also change its website with a few clicks and there is no guarantee that they will give a grace period. We've seen it before with this topic and others.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

My Nurse said it would not be needed and refused to give it to me. My husbands nurse, a a different surgery made him have it!

I have called the embassy and they said it was not needed. I have also looked at many guidelines and it says that it is not needed either, we are off in a couple of weeks so will let you know when we return if that helps!

Personally it is the ones thing that has confused me about this trip!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

<<Mmmm...yes it just seems ridiculous when it is clearly stated on the embassy page that is is not needed...>> well, there are answers to this. Take your pick - TIA (this is Africa) or "It is what it is" (my phrase while in Africa). The sooner one realizes that you cannot put Western/European mentality and organization into an African setting, the easier your African travel will be; I'm afraid.

If a plane is coming in, all people working at the airport are there. Timing of arrival is irrelevant.

My travel physician didn't want to give me the shot either, but I insisted (with the argument that I would be in the Amazon in the next few years) but that card has not seen the light of day in Africa as I was not asked for it in Kilimanjaro Airport. But I can sleep nights knowing that I have it done and I am not in the position to transfer yellow fever to people who can't easily be treated.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

Weddinghunter - My post may have come in while you were typing. I would give you the same advice that I entered above.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

The WHO, your nurse's opinion, and any other Western idea on this is not pertinent or helpful on this issue. The one which is, is the health officer on the desk when you enter the country. If s/he says you need it, you will either have had it with an international vaccination certificate to prove it, or they will administer it on the spot; or they will refuse you entry into the country. You can also present them with your physicians letter stating what the medical reasons are for not having the vaccination.

This is for the benefit of their own citizen's protection as they don't want anyone bringing in YF to their country. It's their country, and they make their own rules. Colonial rule went out some fifty years ago.

So you can actually do one of three things:

1) Get the vaccination along with the international vaccination certificate and have it ready to be presented if asked for.

2) Get your physician to write a letter on their letterhead stating the medical reasons why you can't have this.

3) Take your chances at the border that a health officer will not be there (if the plane is coming from another African country they will most probably be there, no matter what time of day) and if they are you will be given the choice of having the vaccination or leaving on the next plane after staying in quarantine until the plane's arrival. And if the health officer is not there you can walk on in, no one at passport control is going to ask for this, only a health officer.

london
Level Contributor
217 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

Do they check outside the plane as you step off or in a separate area that everyone goes through? We are going from London via Istanbul

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,593 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

They check in the airport building and is one of the processess, as well as visas and customs that you need to go through.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yellow fever up to date info anyone

They are typically around the passport control area, you will most often see them in white lab coats.