We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any guesses what this is?

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,767 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Any guesses what this is?

I bought this at a little shop in Stone Town https:/… The shopkeeper wasn't sure what it was used for; I wondered if it was some sort of salesman's sampler of kanga designs. It is handpainted on cotton, and had been stretched on a wood frame at one time. It measures around 20" x 30". If you have any educated guesses what this may be, I would like to hear them.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any guesses what this is?

It may be a salesman's sample but don't know. The saying on the top says something about knowing them by their behavior.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any guesses what this is?

What a great find! Looking at it, it makes sense to think it is a salesman sample. Given the placement of the white or black lines, it speaks Kanga to me.

Did you know that a lot of the Tanzania kangas/kitenge are actually produced in India with Indian designs and there is a strong relationship between Zanzibar and India, for their textiles so I wonder if this is why they did it on one canvas rather than bringing actual kangs to drum up business.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any guesses what this is?

QM, most of the katanga and konga sold in Tanzania is produced by METL (Mohamed Enterprises Tanzania Ltd) in Tanga, and they use locally grown cotten, mostly grown in Mwanza and the Western parts of Tz. I have done some work with them which is why I know of this. If I remember correctly they produce about 5 million meters of printed cloth a month, sufficient to supply the Tz markets with some left over for export. There are some imports from India but it's difficult for them to compete with locally grown and manufactured textiles.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,053 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any guesses what this is?

Thanks for the info, Karl. It is better news that what I have researched. Perhaps the Indian kangas are the polyester ones now being sold - in Arusha and Moshi, at any rate. That company is located in Dar, but the company research shows links to Zanzibar and India. Sorry, I've forgotten the name.

I am much happier thinking that most are Tanz made. I was surprised how popular the polyester ones are - but then, they are cheaper. They certainly can't be more comfortable. Perhaps they are popular in these towns as they are often used for secondary items - like handbags. The lower cost will allow for a higher profit margin.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,767 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any guesses what this is?

Thanks for the comments so far. Yes, QM, it was quite a find, just the sort of quirky souvenir I like--especially since it involves textiles. I really pigged out on kangas and batiks while I was there.

Agra
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any guesses what this is?

isn't it a embroidery on cotton

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,767 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any guesses what this is?

No, it's painting.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any guesses what this is?

QM I am intending to buy several kangas and kitenges for various decorating projects on our trip. Would very much like to know the sizes of the two kind for planning ahead. Also what is a reasonable price to pay? Thanks.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any guesses what this is?

I don't know the current prices as I don't get any of these. They used to be 5,000 for Kitangas and 10,000 for Kongas. And those prices were the same everywhere, unless they saw that you were a tourist and they would sometimes put the price at $5 and $10 which was about a 50% markup from the usual..

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
771 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any guesses what this is?

I will be going to Arusha (safari) and Zanzibar in March 2013. I have seen these kanga's mentioned, so finally googled. The fabrics are beautiful. I can see this as being my weak spot when I am there, and will need to buy!!! Do these come mostly as a sheet of fabric worn as a sarong, or are they also stitched up into bags, etc? What prices should I be seeing for these? Any recommendations as where to buy? I see that I should check for cotton vs. polyester.