We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

Cumbria
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

I am getting married in July and am going on safari in Kenya and then to Zanzibar for our honeymoon. We want something special in a nice area and have narrowed it down to either the Residence or the hideaway.

The residence looks beautiful and we have got a reasonable rate on this hotel half board with Trailfinders. However I am concerned that the drinks prices and additional extras will cost a fortune. Can anyone advise on this?

We can get a luxury suite at the Hideaway for a similar price all inclusive but am aware that this complex is not open yet? Can anyone give me any information about this hotel and its rating? I have seen it advertised as a 5 and 4 star hotel.

I have not done much research into Zanzibar and would like to know which hotel is in the nicest area?

Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Super Safari
Private Tours, Safaris
Bashasha Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Safaris, Multi-day Tours
Black Baroness Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Banbury, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

hi girgem,

we booked to stay in the hideaway this december, but have just been told it's now not opening until 1st march. hope his helps?

pd

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

Hello,

Just to confirm the Hideaway have reluctantly taken the decision to delay opening until 1st March 2013 and we would expect it to be a 4 - 5 star property once open. I would say both properties have little to choose from in terms of location. In terms of costs, of course the Residence will work out more expensive, how much more will depend on how much you like to drink. Whilst all costs are relative, it has been said before that the extras at The Residence are expensive compared to elsewhere on the island. Of course The Residence say that this allows them to offer a better quality and so on.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Pure Zanzibar

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Southampton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

Hi, We have booked for Hideaway in May 2013.. Is it still planned to be open by 1st March 2013?

Thanks

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

When you go for the residence you willl have to opt for all inclusive as the hotel has been built in a new location were there are not yet new or old hotels next to it. Meaning that you will have to get all from the hotel it self.

For hideaway if you are coming in when it is open you will definattely have some hotels that are next to it but the pricing also i do not think if it will be low as they are almost of the same star rating.

Thank you anfd welcome to Zanzibar

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

Thanks, we are all inclusive at Hideaway so will this be fully open? Sorry I don't understand your message fully.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

Ther Hidaway will be open by the 1st March 2013 that is confirmed date as per the information that we have gathered.

So by july when you will be coming the hotel will be in full swing operating.

Welcome to Zanzibar

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

The Hideaway reported the other day that they had problems with a shipment of furniture. The 'grand opening date' has been postponed to 30 April 2013.

July should be fine.

May might be a different matter as new hotels take time to iron out issues.

Level Contributor
32 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

Hi by the looks of it hideaway is to the north, there are more hotels in this area thus you will not get the private beach feeling. I stayed in Zanzibar on my honeymoon last year febuary and stayed at both the residence and star of the east which is situated in the north, nice sand but beach was over crowded . To be honest the residence sea was not the best to swim in but for scenery and to walk on the beach was perfect. The private plung pools are perfect in the residence The atmosphere and private nature of each beach villa is amazing, also note it is better payin the extra to go for a beach villa. If I was to choose from the two I will choose residence even though I have already been there. If you are worried about alcohol, I took two bottles from Nairobi duty free and kept these in my room, drinks are abit expensive but it is worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
9. Re: Residence or Hideaway of nungwi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 05:15