We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

L H
San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

I am looking at a flight which will arrive at 7PM in Zanzibar airport. I was interested in taking the bus up to Nungwi to save on travel expenses. I understand that I will have to take a taxi from the airport to Stonetown, then take a local bus up to Nungwi.

Is this safe to do at night? Do the buses operate in the evening, and how frequently do they leave? About how long will this take and how much will it cost? Does anyone know where in Nungwi the bus drops you off? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

Shortly,

Not night Local Buses to Nungwi.

These buses are operating mostly in day time where have many passengers.

These local buses are not rely on Tourists. 99 passengers are local people who are busy during day time and get back to their homes late afternoon.

Option:

a)Take a Taxi direct to Nungwi

b)Have a night in Stonetown,then take a shuttle buse from Stonetown to Nungwi which is baout US$ 10 or local Bus for about US$ 3(but it takes time as a public bus)

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
165 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

I have a similar issue.

- Are taxi's safe from the airport?

- How much should we expect to pay?

- How long is the journey to Nungwi?

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

-Taxis are safe from Airport to Nungwi.

Make sure is a registered Taxi which has Red plate with yellow numbers.

-Expect to pay from US$ 45 - 60 depend on your bargaining power.

-It takes an Hour good driving from Airport to Nungwi

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

At 7pm it's already dark. Best to stay in Stone Town and head up to Nungwi next morning. Hotels likely less expensive in ST than at a beach cottage/resort.

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

Hello,

We get asked 'why are your transfers more expensive than I have seen on TA' or similar frequently. Firstly we are only talking about a few $$ and of course you don't have to book them. However without putting down all local taxi services...

All of our drivers can speak English and many can speak several other European languages as well.

All of our vehicles are safe and road worthy.

All of our vehicles are insured.

Our driver will be in a fit state to drive.

Our price is fixed and will not change on route.

Our driver will actually know where he is going.

Our drivers are very knowledgeable double up as guides.

You will also get a car with AC and a bottle of cool mineral water, plus a meet and greet service in the airport.

Of course I am sure this is the case with other tour operators, however from this list I'm sure you can infer the risks of arriving and trying to negotiate, possibly after a long flight.

If cost are not your biggest concern I would say you can travel to Nungwi in the morning if you wish or the night you arrive and you will be perfectly safe to do so if you have it pre-booked.

I hope this helps and that you enjoy your time in Zanzibar! :)

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
6. Re: Travel from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi in the evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 02:18