We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
344 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

Good afternoon!

My fiance and I are trying to plan an August / September trip for this year to Zanzibar for our honeymoon for a twelve day to two week stay. Our "relaxing" part of the trip will be spent in Zanzibar where we hope to be on the beach. Neither of us has ever traveled there before and we're a little confused by the options - what is a good area for a honeymooning couple to stay? We're not looking for parties, loud noises, crowds but want to be in a user-friendly, beachy area that caters to couples who want some quiet and pampering. Where in Zanzibar (area wise) should we aim to stay?

Any and all help would be appreciated. We're thinking of staying between five days to a week at a mid-level accommodation or boutique hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

We just spent 3 weeks in Tanzania on a safari/beach vacation. We ended it with 5 days in Zanzibar at the beach. We stayed in a real nice boutique hotel called Next Paradise Boutique Resort. This resort is beautiful, the rooms are very nice and it is right on the beach. If you are looking for the wild party scene this is not the place. If you are looking for a beautiful quiet spot with great service, beautiful resort, very good food then check it out.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

5-7/days on Zanzibar during a 12-14/day honeymoon?

So where else the other 7/days?

Not to dissuade you from Zanzibar, but closer to home there is the Caribbean*, Mexico (various areas, including Cabo), Belize, even Hawaii... or father afield at Tahiti and the Cook Islands. All at some good package deals, no Visas, malaria meds.

Haven't checked them out, but understand Costco has a great Travel Department.

*forget this in Aug/Sep - hurricane season, ooops!

For Tanzania/Zanzibar during Aug/Sep are peak season for both beach and safari and thus at peak prices. So too the airfare. You should consider properties that have a/c as the coast is tropical: hot/humid.

What do you consider 'mid-level?' Price?

What have you seen when seeking possibiities? There's a list of many options in the column to the lower left of this page. And many more not shown. Any look interesting?

If not doing safari, and willing to travel this distance... maybe consider the Seychelles Islands (1,000/miles off the coast of Kenya/Tanzania)... this is Paradise.

Didn't answer your question, but somethings to consider.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

We're not interested in the Caribbean or Mexico as we've traveled both extensively. Zanzibar is what we are interested in and to answer your question, the other portion of our trip will be spent on safari.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

We enjoyed our stay at Pongwe. It has a beautiful private beach which is only used by the people staying in the16 rooms there. Hence very quiet, plenty of sun loungers also a lovely infinity pool. No beach boys to hassle you. Rooms are simple but comfortable. Food is lovely. It is popular with honeymoon couples. I would go back I'd I get the chance. Read the TA reviews and check out the photos.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

As per your honeymoon trip to Zanzibar my opinion is to recommend you to Pongwe Beach Hotel or if you fail here then Ras Nungwi the next option.

This are areas away from the crowds and only hear the sea waves.

I would advise you spare a full day for the Zanzibar Safari Blue excursion.

Welcome to Zanzibar.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

As per your honeymoon trip to Zanzibar my opinion is to recommend you to Pongwe Beach Hotel or if you fail here then Ras Nungwi the next option.

This are areas away from the crowds and only hear the sea waves.

I would advise you spare a full day for the Zanzibar Safari Blue excursion.

Welcome to Zanzibar.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

Well if coming from safari, makes sense for R&R on Zanzibar.

While Pongwe is always in demand and gets great reviews, availability can sometimes be an issue.

And while they do now keep the power on overnight so the ceiling fans work... there is no a/c.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

Have a look at the Zanzibari Resort at Nungwi. Although the beach is not much, it's Frangipane Suites would make up for the lack of a decent beach. The suites are very private and have own private pool and sand area.

See thezanzibari.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

ParleGUnit, i will add my vote for Pongwe Beach Hotel. We got back 3 weeks ago and it was spectacular. Amazing beach, excellent food, and the staff were wonderful. And when the tide comes in, the water is well over 90 degrees!

We have also travelled extensively in the Caribbean, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Thailand and this was by far our favourite beach vacation.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area of Zanzibar for a relaxing honeymoon?

Thank you so much! Pongwe looks like the perfect place for relaxation, peace and quiet! We really appreciate all the suggestions. I hope it's warm and the water is great for swimming in August.