We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar transportation question

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Zanzibar transportation question

Hello,

My wife and I will be traveling to Zanzibar in August, and we're deciding where to stay. We like the East coast for the beaches, but we're worried we'll feel stuck out there and we don't want to spend 50 bucks on the hotel car every time we go out.

Do other forms of transportation link the East coast of Zanzibar with Stone town? Do daladalas pass that way, are there minibus services, etc? I've read all about moving on from Stone Town, but not much about the return trip.

Thanks!

JB

Edited: 13 March 2013, 22:10
Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zanzibar transportation question

Hi,

Sadly there is not too much in the way of public transport on Zanzibar so it will likely be taxi's to get around or ask your agent to pre-book the trips if your planning quite a few - you should get a good discount and transport will be included. Alternatively you could consider hiring a car? Do you have something in mind? Depending on what your looking to do you might find that if you choose the right hotel not much travel is required.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Zanzibar transportation question

Some will tell you that transport is available that is right if you are talking about daladalas but there are some hassles that you will have to bear with when it comes to taking daladalas. Some of these issues will be waiting for a long time till the daladala is full as It will not depart that station with th two of you. Seondaly you will have to walk for a very long distance till to the place that you will get a daladala.

These are just some of the major issues that you will have to accounter if it comes to taking a daladala on your daily movement. To enjoy your holiday and leave Zanzibar without any stress i will advise that you get a taxi or arrange transfer with your tour operator.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zanzibar transportation question

It is always good for travellers to be in safe and happy side and for this I would recommend that it is better to book everything with an agent so that your flow is well managed and any assistance easily delivered every times.

Better search from the google a wide range of service providers and for sure you will get all your service requests settled.

This is my opinion.

Tallinn, Estonia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Zanzibar transportation question

Hi,

I just got back from Zanzibar 2 days ago and I must say it is the most wonderful place I've ever been to. When in comes to travelling around the island, I truly recommend a rental car. That way you can explore the island just the way you prefer. Me and my 3 friends rented a car for 8 days (30$ a day). It's worth it. We booked the car before the trip and the car waited us in Stone Town, 2min walk from our hotel. The person who rented us the car was there even an hour earlier. He was very friendly and gave us his phone number and map of Zanzibar. In addition to that, the driver should have an international licence permit (Our driver made the licence also before arriving to Zanzibar).

We stayed in East coast as well. And you are right - the beaches there are amazing! Specially Paje (I must say it was my favourite place while being on a vacation). With the rental car we had all the freedom to do what we liked. For example we took a 2-hour trip to Nungwi (northern part of Zanzibar). On the road we made as many stops as we liked, to make pictures, to buy bananas from the locals etc. We basically drove all around the island with the help of our map. It is the best way to see the the life outside the hotel.

Hopefully this helps you on planning your trip to paradise on earth. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to ask.

G.

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zanzibar transportation question

Glad to hear, Zanzibar is indeed beautiful.

6. Re: Zanzibar transportation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:17