We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Vaccinations

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Vaccinations

I'm planning my wedding in Zanzibar this November, and would like to know if should really immunise myself against tetanus; diphtheria; hepatitis A & B; typhoid; rabies; cholera; yellow fever.

And also if I should consider a malaria treatment. I hear that November is dry season there.

We will be in Stone Town for most of our trip (9 days in total) and visit some of the beach resorts on the island.

I'll be travelling from the UK with a short stopover at the airport in Kenya. And I am not too keen in getting all these jabs unless the risk is real!!

Thanks for your help

Claudia

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Vaccinations

Claudia... I think I answered and gave you the reasons for getting malaria prophylaxes medication, you can prevent malaria and you can die from it, so you had better protect yourself. Yellow Fever vaccination is not for you, it is for them and is required if you are traveling to Tz from or through an endemic area. If they determine that it is required for you for entry into Tanzania and you don't have a vaccination certificate they will administer it at the airport or wherever you are doing your border crossing. Most people would rather get it at home where they know the sterile conditions. Certainly you don't need rabies if you are not going to be around animals.The rest is up to you and your physician.

Ghent, Belgium
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Vaccinations

In addition to what Karl said, you don't need to worry much about cholera and typhoid as these are not frequent and depend on what you eat and drink. So make sure you drink bottle water (never tape water) and eat in a decent restaurant or hotel, all will be well with ur trip

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Vaccinations

Rabies is up to you, but unless you are going to be getting very close to animals (where they could bite you) you probably don't need this.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Vaccinations

Rabies has no benefit for ANYONE traveling to Zanzibar and anybody that ever recommends it is uninformed. It offers no protection against rabies. If bitten, you still must take the full treatment for rabies. It only delays the point of no return by about 3 days. If someone would be more than 72 hours to a facility, then it might have benefit to buy them time before starting the treatment. Once symptoms start it is 100% fatal

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Vaccinations

Hello,

As above, and always consult your doctor (or travel clinic) regarding jabs. Many people from the UK find that they have already had a lot of these, in fact some of them are requirements to get in to the UK and are given whilst your young. Realistically the chances of getting malaria are lower than other parts of the world but personally there is no way I would risk it.

I hope this helps.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Vaccinations

"Realistically the chances of getting malaria are lower than other parts of the world"

........but for most of us a lot higher than if you stay at home. You definately should take antimalarials

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Vaccinations

100% agree you should take them, just in case that was not clear. :)

Although the risk is lower you don't want catch malaria. It is because of this 'lower' risk the question is even being asked. Lots of work has gone on to reduce the risk in Zanzibar which has been effective to a point but if you catch malaria you will have it for the rest of your days.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Vaccinations

When I arrived in Tanzania last night, they did not check yellow fever cards, but as tired as I was, I would not have wanted to wait around and worry about them giving me one right there, so it is worth the security to have it done. As for malaria meds, they are very important. There is a mosquito buzzing around me right now.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Vaccinations

November the 'dry' season. Don't think so.

This is the 'short' rainy period and being on the coast (as most tropical areas) you can probably expect a shower or two anytime during the day.

Take your malaria meds, have the YF inoc and you should be current on jabs that any sensible adult should regardless if you never leave home - meaning at minimum Tetanus and Hep-A - both can be contracted anywhere in the world.

NYC
Level Contributor
637 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Vaccinations

CDC have just put out a notice recommending polio (polio booster)!