We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

santa cruz
Level Contributor
132 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

Which is most reliable. Also will probably have small amount of extra wgt beyoun 20kg especially since we will be returning home. Which would probably accommodate this.

thanks all

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

Probably none will accommodate overweight. These are small aircraft and if they are full of passengers they can't take on all that much more weight, and you don't want them to do that with you onboard. The least that will happen is that they will charge you by the kg for the overweight, the most will be that they will not take it on the flight and you will need to pick it up later when they get a lighter flight.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
307 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

I have chosen Zanair - because they actually do accept overweight, allthough they charge 2$ pr ekstra kilo.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

Zan Air for sure ... Auric is NOT reliable at all. My wife and I arrived from Dubai to find out our flight (3 hours after landing) to Zanzibar was canceled for 'mechanical reasons'; it was the last flight of the day. They put is in a rat bag motel (which we tried to change but had issue with due to timing) and then refused to compensate us for the last night of $380 for our resort in Zanzibar. Terrible service - would never ever fly Auric Air again!!! Stay away!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,433 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

Nobody mentions Coastal. The principal carrier throughout Tanzania.

www.coastal.cc

but as Karl says. Don't even think about flying overweight. It will cost you dearly and may delay your flight.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

Does anyone want an aviation company to fly with mechanical problems, I don't. And compensation standards are different in Tanzania then they are in Ohio, you don't get any there and are lucky if they put you up in a hotel somewhere. This is Africa.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

I should have also mentioned that there are aviation companies there which will fly with some mechanical problems, you really don't want to fly with them (notably Air Tanzania).

Boston
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

$2 per kilo. Damn that's cheap. I probably have 40 kg with me. Are you sure about this?

In ZanAir a reputable company?

Edited: 31 October 2013, 18:12
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

Sometimes they won't take it with them, like if it would affect the safety of the fight, and will bring it later. These are small planes and they can't take all that much luggage.

They are all reputable companies, except for Air Tanzania.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

my experience with ZanAir was ok...

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: auric air or zan air from zanzibar to dar

Zanair is the company that I can recommend.

if you have a lot of luggage apart from being ready to pay you can also contact them in advise as they have small planes. This makes it easy for them to arrange something for you in advance so that you luggage does to have to wait and come later.