We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquids in hand luggage

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Liquids in hand luggage

I'm flying with friends from Heathrow to Zanzibar via Addis Ababa and Dar Es Salaam. Due to a low baggage allowance, we want to buy some toiletries like sun screen at Heathrow. We will also be buying alchohol there too. Does anyone know whether we will have problems in carrying these items in hand luggage from Addis Ababa to Dar Es Salaam and then from Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar. We are happy to try and ask the shops to seal up the bags.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

You can only put that in checked luggage, they will probably confiscate it at Addis. Why not wait until you get to Tanzania and buy it there. You are definitely not allowed to hand carry liquids in that quantity aboard an aircraft. All hand carried luggage liquids must be contained in a plastic bag not larger than 1 Liter in size.

Here are the TSA guidelines for hand carried liquids:

3-1-1 for carry-on luggage = bottle of 3.4 ounces (100 ml) or less (per volume); 1 quart transparent plastic bag hermetically sealed; 1 bag per passenger placed in the inspection container. One quart size bag per person limits the total volume of liquid that each passenger can carry. The 3.4 ounce (100 ml) container size is a security measure.

So the bottom line for you will be, you are not allowed the sunscreen unless it is less than 100ml, and the alcohol will be confiscated in Addis when you try to get back on another plane. I have seen this happen.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

Thanks very much Karl. Does Tanzania airport carry a good range of products?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

i assume you are changing flights at ADD then again at DAR,

my experience of carrying hand luggage at Gatwick last May, all liquids and creams must be within 100ml containers, and all containers must fit into one small transparent plastic bag,

and if you had any excess of liquids or creams or any containers larger than 100ml

then it was confiscated,

however shops such as boots at gatwick provided reasonable priced repalcements in small sizes,

again while returning from mombasa last May, i was able to take thro some plastic soda bottles and water water bottles which were sealed-up by the shop,

anyway, your flights from Heathrow and Addis Ababa (Bole airport)

may allow a bit more KG in hand luggage,

but the flight from DAR to ZNZ may have restrictions or excess charge,

and if i remember correctly you can buy and consume alcohol at airport,

but not carry it into flight,

but you can clarify this by calling the different airlines you will be travelling with.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

i assume you are changing flights at ADD then again at DAR,

my experience of carrying hand luggage at Gatwick last May, all liquids and creams must be within 100ml containers, and all containers must fit into one small transparent plastic bag,

and if you had any excess of liquids or creams or any containers larger than 100ml

then it was confiscated,

however shops such as boots at gatwick provided reasonable priced repalcements in small sizes,

again while returning from mombasa last May, i was able to take thro some plastic soda bottles and water water bottles which were sealed-up by the shop,

anyway, your flights from Heathrow and Addis Ababa (Bole airport)

may allow a bit more KG in hand luggage,

but the flight from DAR to ZNZ may have restrictions or excess charge,

and if i remember correctly you can buy and consume alcohol at airport,

but not carry it into flight,

but you can clarify this by calling the different airlines you will be travelling with.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

There are stores/shops in Stone Town and Dar which sell a wide variety of alcohol products. Not all that much at the airport.

dorset
Level Contributor
545 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

As stated above, you will be able to buy items of less than 100ml at Heathrow. Apart from that you can shop at Dar as it is your last stop off. However, there are not really any conventional shops at Dar airport - just a few handicrafts to buy. You can buy alcohol in many places in Zanzibar, including Stone Town (off licence near old post office in Shangani) also in Nungwi near the beach and in Paje at the supermarket (Zanzibar does not have many of these!)

I would suggest that you buy your sunscreen here as I don't know how easy it will be to find in Zanzibar. You may be able to get it in Stone Town somewhere, but at the beach (we visited Nungwi and Jambiani) I only remember seeing soap and shampoo.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

If only taking hand luggage you will have issues with anything over 100ml/3oz. So I wouldn't even consider both. However, if you plan to check a piece of luggage, just put whatever you purchase in double ziplock bags and place between softh cloths in this bag and be on your way.

I've yet to break any of these types doing it this way. ... even alcohol.

Otherwise, wait till you get in-country to puchase.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 18:24
8. Re: Liquids in hand luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:22