We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

I'm traveling to Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar for 6 days end of September/early October after a work trip. I'm a female traveling alone. How long should I spend in each place? What hotels are beach-front and are recommended for solo female travelers? I prefer at least mid-range, nice amenities. I'm also looking for suggestions on day tours both from Dar and on Zanzibar. Thanks!

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

For zanzibar I would suggest that you get to nungwi as they have one of th best beaches on the island and you will have beautifule sand beaches that you can walk on.

We ahave so many hotels in this area and for deatil you will have to look at those listed here and reviews from those that have stayed there alaready.

Welcome to Zanzibar we will be looking forward to seeeing you here in Zanzibar.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

5 Nights Zanzibar: 1 Nights Stone town on arrival, do the stone town and prison island tours..D2: Head on to The Z Hotel North coast via the famous spice tour on the way. Stay North coast 3 nights where you can relax on the beach and do some snorkeling or dhow cruises.

1 Night Dar: Depart early from Zanzibar to dar by flight and by 09H00 hrs you are in Dar. Stay at Sea Cliff Hotel and from there you can organise the dar City tour and you will see the beautiful dar and the historical points must see in the city.

I hope this would be good value for your short tz Holiday.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

I hope you don't mind me tagging on to this thread! I too will be solo in Zanzibar for two days at the end of September. I am deciding between staying in Pongwe or Jambiani for those two days. Which would you recommend? Is Pongwe too isolated? Is Jambiani fun when alone? Thanks in advance.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
307 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

According to my research, Pongwe is pretty isolated with nothing (as in nothing!) going on beside relax, relax and then some.....relaxing :-D

Jambiani has/is a little village, and the area should be not as touristy and have a little more authentic feel to it, as to many others.

Luckily i have the opportunity to stay both places, but you are the only one to know what to choose to be the best and right place for you to stay.

If you just need a couple of days just doing nothing at a absolutely amazing, secluded bounty beach, then choose Pongwe.

If you are into watching the local life, with local people on the beach and a small village with more dining options out of the hotel (None at Pongwe -just the hotel!) then you choose Jambiani.

Your desires - your choice :-)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

OP from Falls Church... Go to the Dar es Salaam forum and on the right side of the web page you will find a list of Top questions about Dar es Salaam. Review this for things to do, places to eat, etc. Dar is an interesting city, most people don't stay there long enough to do it justice, but there are some very good things to do while you are there. Myself, given the choice I would stay in Dar rather than on Zanzibar but I'm not a beach person. The beach area in Dar sometimes get a bit smelly, due to sewage dumping. If you want a beach area close to Dar then I would suggest that you go to Bagamoyo, about 50km North of Dar, there are some good resorts there; I have stayed at the Paradise Holiday Resort quite a few times, and used to go there when in Dar on a very hot summer day (like in January) on the weekend just to get some sea breezes. There are quite a few resort hotels in Bagamoyo.

For mid range hotels in Dar I might suggest looking at the New Africa (right in the city center, rack rate at $150, but you can negotiate in advance for $100), Holiday Inn, in the city center at about the same rate, the Killimanjaro Hotel one of the nicer hotels in Dar at about double or more of the New AFrica rate, and they Royal Palm, just a little off the city center at a tad under the cost of the Killimanjaro. None are beach front, all the beach close-by or sea close-by are out on Ocean Road and I've always thought the ones in the city center were better hotels.

6. Re: Planning a trip to Zanzibar/Dar end of September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:39