We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

If arriving at the Dar airport (late in the evening), what is the most convenient way to travel to Zanzibar: air or sea? Which company can you recommend?

Many thanks!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

Be very careful with street food. Especially during certain months (like their summer months), the chips which sit about a long time, and are not fully recooked are know to spread cholera. Typically when they have a major cholera outbreak there the health authorities shut down (or try to) all the street food vendors in Dar.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

Hi Karl and all,

I hate to be thick, but just to be clear it looks like the going rate for a one-way from ZNZ to DAR on Precision's website, (which I just looked up and found it listed as $57 per ticket plus $20 fuel surcharge for a total of $77, with no other taxes listed.), but, I gather that when comparing prices I should add $48 to this ticket price?

Also, I'd like to spend my last afternoon/evening relaxing in ZNZ, and take an evening flight to Dar to catch my midnight flight home, but don't want to take the last flight out of ZNZ in case there are weather or mechanical problems with my flight.

In some ways it would be nice to take the ferry, but it puts me into Dar way early for my midnight flight out, and leaves me with the prospect of an hour long taxi ride to the Dar airport.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
307 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

I would actually just book with Zanair - problem solved ;-)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

Since Precision is not collecting the taxes for Zanzibar, I would guess that you are correct. There are plenty of flights by other carriers, Zanair, Coastal, etc. I would never take the last opportunity of the day to get to Dar, too many thing can go wrong. I would rather sit in the Dar airport for a few hours longer than I had to rather than risk missing my flight; you must be there at least 2 hours in advance of departure,

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

Is it safer to take a ferry (somebody mentioned Azam marine Boats and Kilimanjaro Boat company) or a plane?

If the plane is safer, what company should be taken?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

Azam ferry is a good ferry and they don't overload the boat. Coastal Air, Precision Air, and Zan Air all provide air service from Dar airport to Stone Town airport. All are comparable service. It's only a 20 minute ride.

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

So you think the maintenance of these small aircraft is good?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

All are set to international standards, and they are tested for that. I would not suggest flying on Air Tanzania, that has a terrible maintenance record.

Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

Good to know, thank you!

Is there any reason why one should prefer the aircraft to the ferry (or the other way round)?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
307 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Travelling from Dar to Zanzibar?

The ferry is cheaper, but takes several hours - the plane takes just 20 minutes, but costs a little more.