We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar basics - ATM, departure tax etc

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Zanzibar basics - ATM, departure tax etc

hi

heading to Zanzibar in 3 weeks

1st question:

can someone please let me know where/how i can find the ATM in Stone Town?

that's where i would be staying and I need some TZS upon arrival

is it better to get TZS directly out from ATM using a visa debit card, or do i get better rates by exchanging TZS using USD cash?

2nd question:

what is this zanzibar departure tax everyone is talking about? is it still being implemented?

i am leaving zanzibar to kilimanjaro airport via FastJet, so it will be a domestic flight. do i need to pay zanzibar departure tax, and if yes, how much is it?

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zanzibar basics - ATM, departure tax etc

Not sure the name of the road but our driver took us straight from the airport to an Atm , just near the market place ,I think , there were several banks there to choose from

There was also an Atm near Fordahni Gardens near the Tembo Hotel .

There is an Atm at the airport but don't rely on that as it didn't have any cash in it when we arrived.

We were there in August never heard about or paid a departure tax !

Enjoy Zanzibar!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zanzibar basics - ATM, departure tax etc

Lots of ATMs around Zanzibar.

Departure Tax might be included in your ticket or again it might not. For Domestic flights it is around $10 and if you have to pay it, they will let you know at check in. BEWARE scams!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zanzibar basics - ATM, departure tax etc

ATMs - no idea where as I rarely use TSH while in Tanzania.

Departure Fee - best check wiith your tour operator if they booked the ticket or the air carrier direct if you purchased from them. A few years back when all air carriers were to be using e-tickets, the departure fees/taxes were to be included in the cost of ticket. Then a few months back, ZNZ decided they didn't want to wait for the rebate from the air carriers and started charging the fees to be paid on departure, which price varies whether it's a domestic or international flight.

If when ticket purchased the fee was included, many outfitters are providing traveler with the amount of this fee (in USD) to pay when it's requested. Suggest then you verify with your outfitter or air carrier itself, what to do and how it should be handled when departing.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 16:42
4. Re: Zanzibar basics - ATM, departure tax etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:18