We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of ferries from DAR to ZAN

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of ferries from DAR to ZAN

Hello :) we have been planning a trip to Tanzania which, of course, include a trip to ZAN. But one of my friends told me that she took a flight because some ferry accidents happened in the past.

Looking into the news, indeed, there have been horrible ferry accidents in 2011 and even 2012. Apparently it's because they overloaded the ferries. Some recommended ferry companies seem to be Azam and fastferry. Can you advise me on this? If it is risky, I would rather take a flight!

Thanks

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of ferries from DAR to ZAN

Azam boats are okay, you can try to use their Kilimanjaro fast ferry,Its new ,fast and very comfortable.

Arusha
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of ferries from DAR to ZAN

Me too I would recommend Azam or Kilimanjaro. They are fast, comfortable and a little bit more expensive. These ferries are used a lot by tourists and don't get overloaded (this might maybe happen to a cheap, very local ferry). There are sooo so many ferries going and coming to/from Zanzibar every day..that makes thousands of ferries per year..and then it is "only" two accidents ;-) there are many more car accidents and people are never afraid of traveling by car.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of ferries from DAR to ZAN

I'm also interested in travelling to ZAN. Although I have not been there, I would have to agree with your friend that ferry would be a dangerous. Although aviation in Africa is not too safe either...

Edited: 27 December 2013, 10:36
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of ferries from DAR to ZAN

The Azam ferry, I have taken it perhaps a dozen times, is a safe ferry which they do not overload. You have to be in charge of your own safety though. Look at the boat and if it looks overloaded get off.

If you take a flight and the plane doesn't look safe to you, get off.

I always inspect the tires on any bus I ride there before I get on it. Why would one do otherwise.

5. Re: Safety of ferries from DAR to ZAN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:16