We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Zanzibar

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 days in Zanzibar

Hello,

I want to travel to Zanzibar from May 30-June 2 over the holiday weekend. I will be traveling from Nairobi and will most likely depart on Friday evening and come back on Monday evening. Thanks to the feedback on TA, it seems like it would be best to fly right to Zanzibar rather than take the ferry from DAR. However, I would appreciate some advice on whether it is best to:

1) Stay one night at Stone Town and one night in Nungwi;

2) Stay both nights at Stone Town and travel via cab at Nungwi; or

3) Stay the entire time in Stone Town and don't worry about Nungwi.

I would like to travel around Stone Town and also do a spice tour. If time allows, I would also like to do a Safari Blue.

Also, I would appreciate any hotel suggestions for either/or places for a female traveling solo. Price is mid-range.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Stone Town
Stone Town
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Nungwi
Nungwi
The Safari Blue
The Safari Blue
1,361 Reviews
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Zanzibar

Hard to advise what is 'best '. What do you want to get out of your trip? Why Nungwi?

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Zanzibar

Peterscot, I want to maximize my time there and see as much as possible, but not spend a fortune. I chose Nungwi because it was a recommended spot among the forum, but if you think there is a better option, please let me know. I great appreciate your advice!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Zanzibar

With only 2 days, I'd stay around Stonetown. The spice tour will get you out and about for a bit, and there are beaches right in Stonetown you could relax on if needed. I think Nungwi should be a minimum 3-4 nights to really enjoy it and relax.

Mentioned in this post
Nungwi
Nungwi
Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 days in Zanzibar

Fly, don't get the ferry. Depending on what you want to do you can easily stay in a beach destination and visit Stone Town from there. Beaches around Stone Town are far from the best. The whole island is fairly small and most things will be within reach from anywhere by taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Stone Town
Stone Town
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 days in Zanzibar

Thank you all for your responses! The information provided is incredibly helpful!

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.5 days in Zanzibar

From Nairobi realize if onto ZNZ you incur costs for TNZZNZ Visa at USD$100/pp plus you require a Yellow Fever Inoculation (these are expensive) and proof of same for entry to the Island. Ideally, you should have this jab at least 10/days prior travel.

Will you have been in Nairobi/KEN on safari prior or on business? If so, and you want beach why not fly out to the Kenyan coast, south (Ukunda/Diani). Saves the extra costs.

If intent on ZNZ, flight would be best the earliest out of the NBO/JKIA airport so at least you have a good half-day on 30th and spent at least this nt in Stone Town. Be able to do a Town Tour that afternoon.

Then if you truly need a beach (really, how far are you from Virginia Beach?), next morning can stop at Jozani Forest on the way north or east for the next 2/nts.... then return to ST for flight back to NBO as I assume this is from where you'll be returning home.

Bye the way, the holiday is this weekend, not the following.

Mentioned in this post
Ukunda
Ukunda
Coast Province, Kenya
Diani Beach
Diani Beach
Ukunda, Kenya
Stone Town
Stone Town
7. Re: 2.5 days in Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:16