We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cana du Midi

Which Capestang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Cana du Midi

I'm thinking of buying a property beside the canal , does it ever flood? Are there particular considerations I should have in such a popular tourist location?

5 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,213 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cana du Midi

It does not flood as far as I know. There are many considerations to take when buying a property and you should take legal advise if you are unfamiliar with the local rules and regulations. The canal does not attract any mass tourism. Barging is popular and creates a moderate activity.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cana du Midi

It is never that busy with tourists. The only attraction is the church and the canal, and the lovely bridge over it. Most visitors to the place have hired canal cruisers for a week or so on the Canal du Midi, either from Capestang or elsewhere on the canal. If anything, they add to the atmosphere of the place rather than detract from it.

Capestang, France
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cana du Midi

There is always a small possibility of flooding, if you are near one of the rivers - it is worth getting some local information around where you intend to buy.

Some of the towns on the canal are very busy in the height of the season. Are you thinking of buying in Capestang? I live there, so if you have any questions, please ask......

Azille...
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cana du Midi

The canal du midi is quite frequented not only with tourist boats, but also by cyclists as well and can get very busy during the summer months, however not a problem other than people going back and forth in front of your house if you are right on the tow path. The canal is not known for flooding as there are locks and flood gates all along the length. As it is not a flowing body of water, it is easy to control and the VNF take good care of it. Good luck and enjoy the area, it is beautiful down here!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cana du Midi

Where did you wake up from?

Reply to: Cana du Midi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capestang