We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exploring the languedoc region

Which Capestang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
exploring the languedoc region

I will be visiting the languedoc region for 5 weeks in May 2015, staying in Capestang, followed by another 6 weeks in the Luberon near Apt.

There will be a number of friends visiting both locations for approx 2 weeks at a time.

We will be planning a number of day trips from each locale and my plan is to alternate between shorter days visiting the local villages, and longer days for particular points of interest.

In Languedoc we are definitely planning to visit Carcassonne, the Cathar castles, some of the beach towns, Pezenas, and venturing farther afield to Uzes, Pont de Gard, Nimes, Avignon, Arles, definitely the Camargue, Sommieres and surrounding villages etc.

My question is whether the more distant locations could be a bit too ambitious for a day trip?

If not, we could possibly combine some of them within the same day.

Advice, please?

8 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,582 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exploring the languedoc region

I live in Gruissan for 6-8 months a year and we have done day trips to Camargue including Aigues Mortes, Saintes Maries de la Mer and the bird sanctuary, Pont du Gard, Pezenas etc. It is fully doable in a day, but you cannot really visit more than one or two with lunch in the middle even if you do as much as possible on the motorway.

To the north we have done Lac du Salagou and Olargues.

To the west we have ventured into valleys and up into the Pyrenees like Villefranche de Conflent and surroundings. It is also fully possible to visit Spain including the scenic coast road, the Cabo de Creus peninsula, Figueres and Cadaqués.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 09:06
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: exploring the languedoc region

thank you for your helpful advice.

we do indeed plan to venture into Spain. One of my friends is intent on seeing Barcelona.

Would also expect to explore parts of the Pyrenees with a possible drive to Lourdes included

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,109 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exploring the languedoc region

Both Lourdes and Barcelona are very ambitious for a day trip.

Barcelona is a 3-hr drive, Lourdes is 4-hr - not taking traffic into account.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,582 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exploring the languedoc region

Agree with above. Just thinking about a day trip to Barcelona makes me break out in a sweat :) It is a big city with a lot offer and taking transport into account you will only have 6 hours out of a 12 hour day to explore. Last time in Barcelona I only had a week-end - far too short.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exploring the languedoc region

Uzes, Nimes, Arles, the Camargue are each on the outer limits of comfortable day trip range from either of your bases. I suggest you make a trip of a couple of nights away to see them properly. On the trip to Pezenas go on north to the spectacular Millau Viaduc. Minerve and the Minervois wineries should be on your radar as well. Get the Michelin Green Guide for LR and also for Provence which are invaluable for planning drives and finding good places to dine where you go. Michelin Restaurant app is great for dining, too.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: exploring the languedoc region

thanks again everyone.

I do have the green guides for both areas and have been perusing them for some time along with other guide books and resources.

there is just so much to do and see & I am wanting my friends to have the benefit of as many options as possible for them to choose from.

we are really looking forward to exploring the area.

Saint-Chinian...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: exploring the languedoc region

Hi Jan,

For going to Barcelona I would recommend you to take the train from Narbonne - the new high speed link gets you there very fast (I think 1h 30 min), and not driving and having to find parking for your car makes the visit much more relaxing!

I would add St Guilhelm le Desert to Texhill's itineraray, and you may find some interesting ideas on my blog at www.midihideaways.wordpress.com

Enjoy your stay!!

Azille...
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: exploring the languedoc region

Barcelona is about a 2.5 hour trip each way, and do be aware that pickpockets and other forms of thievery are everywhere, so be aware even on a day trip. Lourdes, is even further, so plan on a long day mostly travel time getting there and back, but also long lines to visit the caves. A few other great visits nearer Capestang (which is a great village in itself) are Minerve a cathar site sitting atop 2 cliffs, Le Somail a great little hamlet, full of art, restaurants & walks along the canal. Lastour is another ruin site in the Black Mountians, with a great hike up to visit the 4 buildings along the path to a great view! Enjoy your time here...

Reply to: exploring the languedoc region
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capestang
More Capestang Topics