We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointed in Santorini

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Disappointed in Santorini

I came here with great expectations last evening after spending 3 days in Mikonos. I must say I am quite disappointed in Santorini :( - We are in Oia, and this place feels like 90+ year olds retirement village. There is absolutely no life or charm in this town.

Not to mention the place we are staying - Marizan Villas has disappointed us; for 160 Euros a night you'd expect something better; we were given four bread slices in the name of breakfast! Agreed the view is great from the room, but it only does so much.

Everything here seems super expensive (at least twice as expensive) compared to Mikonos. The oia town itself is more like Mikonos town on cliffs, with no life.

I am sorry - am I missing something about Santorini that others go ga-ga about? What is it that I am missing in this place; I can't wait for this stay to get over already :( - hopefully it gets better in next three days.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

I'm sorry you don't like Santorini. It's just the "luck of the draw". Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. Some dislike both. There's no way that everyone who travels is going to have the same reaction to a place. As far as what makes Santorini appealing to so many, it's something intangible that can't really be put into words. Either you get it or you don't. No harm, no foul.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

wow, this is a first. The ga ga is of course the peaceful serene charming atmosphere of Oia in combination with the spectacular view. Of course if you are disapppointed this has arisen from different expectation vs different needs,. If you wanted a more lively atmosphere you should have considered staying in Fira. There is a wealth of information here advising you of this, and the Santorini forum in particular is a very precise and active forum.

My experience though has taught me that this type of let down does arise from the above mixed signals coming from elsewhere, and not looking within to ascertain what type of holiday you are really looking for. If you're not particularly interested in views and serenity, you shouldn't have chosen Santorini. There were plenty of signals on this forum altering you to this, I am sure,

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

You obviously went to the wrong place for you, had you researched beforehand, you'd have known you need to stay in Fira or Kamari for somewhere active, and preferably a month later in the season as well.

Obviously if view and architecture do nothing for you (it knocks me out, I could watch it all day long), you should not have visited a location whose two main attractions are, errrm , the view and architecture :-)

So the answer is, yes you are missing something in Santorini that others go ga-ga over, nothing wrong with that but research more next time. Also, skimming the reviews for your hotel, they make it obvious its a quiet place, which is what most visitors are looking for. 5 minutes research here re Oia would have made it obvious also that Oia is not a bustling nightclub location, nor is late May/early June peak season for nightclubs in any case.

Re the breakfast, I haven't stayed at Marizon but the reviews say things like 'In the refrigerator you will find juice, yogurt and other items for breakfast' - did you look in the refrigerator? If so, and nothing there, maybe someone made a boo-boo and forget to stock it. Go ask.

As for the rest of your holiday, I suggest you check out Fira or Kamari much later at night and sleep in during the day.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

@joeintheuk: The view and architecture are all great and nice, and perhaps if I had visited Santorini first and then Mikonos, I would have said the same about Mikonos. You see one of them, you've seen them all. I took countless pictures of architecture in mikonos town and it completely wowed me to no end. Oia is more of the same ;)

Not sure though how living in Fira / Imerovigli would have made the difference. If not, tough luck. All I am saying here is I didnt get the vibe of the place as lots of others have. No problem in that either ;)

I absolutely enjoyed the rest of my greece trip though - amazing country and people; Still have 3 days to go in Santorini, so hopefully things might pick up. Maybe I am facing vacation fatigue as well LOL :)

About Marizan, fridge or not, wont change my opinion; Their breakfasts completely suck. Period. Not to mention they don't even have basic things like a phone in the room. For every small little thing I have to walk up to their reception, knock their doors and ask for each small stuff. Seems kinda ridiculous for an expensive place this!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

What i would propose is to exploit the case anyway.

The whole place may not be of your liking, and this is a sensible thing to expect, otherwise it would be a really boring world anyway.

What i would suggest is this: you are there, so make the best out if it. You may by the end like the place.

If you are active, why not catch the walk paths; or wake up for some early morning jogging; or go to Ammoudi for some fish dinner; or rent a car and go for some exploration; go to the beach?.

Only thing that i would advise not to do would be to stick to pc :) You are there, in a place that most people in the world find stunning, so go for it, even if you do not like it :) Enjoy :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

Mykonos is for party animals, Santorini is

for quiet,romantic personalities. Which one of them

are you?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

Ouch.

I would not put it this way.

Not all people you know can be put in two so distinct categories.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

No, I wouldn't either, maybe a bit too blunt a category. I can sympathize supremus with being a little let down especially after photographing so intensely in Mykonos, combined with first impressions making all the fuss, and a little vacation fatigue, but Nickarch gives you excellent advice. Go out and explore, and discover what is that makes Santorini special. Since you're there, make it your mission to find one positive unique angle.

I myself cherish the morning or late afternoon hikes, Imerovigli to Oia. Visit a winery. Go to the lighthouse and see the sunset. Take in a tavern a little further by, near Mavro Vouno. Swim in Ammoudi bay, and see how it compares to the white sandy beaches of Mykonos!! and yes, get off the computer.

About the breakfasts, this is a sore spot with me. I think it shows poor service/quality, the works, when the breakfast is not up to standard. How hard can it be to serve fresh bread and some marmalade/honey? It is certainly indicative of the proprietor's personality.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

'You see one of them, you've seen them all'....well, they do all have white buildings I suppose :) Santorini is pretty unique as they go, but there's no shame in not liking it or anything else. Sounds to me like you are just having a little come down from the liveliness of Mykonos - loud trance music would make me want to do a Da Vinci on my own ears, so different folks & strokes. At least you've seen them both with your own eyes, and you prefer one to the other - no biggie. Just (try &) enjoy the contrast & that view, you will probably look back fondly in a few years....maybe :) They're both stunners for different reasons, I'd be extremely happy to be in either right now.....

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disappointed in Santorini

"the view only does so much"

This is a classic case, as someone else posted, of expectations not being met, if one set of white washed buildings and some cliffs look just to same to you as any other well you shouldnt have gone to two places like that. What were you expecting? Wildebeest?

"Seems kinda ridiculous for an expensive place this!"

This ISNT expensive for Santorini, in fact I'd say its midmarket. ?Phones in rooms? "Who you gonna call" ? But if that was important to you, well you should check before booking.

Get out, try Fira tonight for some head banging trance music, drive down to the lighthouse, try a boat trip to the volcano, do SOMETHING, Santorini isn't going to bang on the door and come in and entertain you, which you seem to expect.