We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Oia Houses

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southfield, MI
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Old Oia Houses

Hi, I am thinking about booking a studio at Old Oia Houses, anyone stayed here before in a studio. Its a studio so I know its small, is there a particular room you have stayed in you would suggest? Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
446 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Oia Houses

I haven't stayed at Old Oia Houses, but here's my two cents on accommodation types.

Too big can be a problem. I know that sounds ridiculous, but the larger the cave house - the more set back your bedroom is - so a greater cavernous feel and less natural light. You should consider that.

My two bedroom cave house (at Delfini) was approx. 800 square feet.

And my one bedroom/two bath cave house at Rimida was about 550 square feet.

All too big!

I think I would of been happier with a smaller unit - this way, I would be able to lay in bed and gaze out at the view - not possible if you have a very large place.

I know it sounds weird that one would be happier with a studio vs. two bedroom, etc.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
420 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Oia Houses

Hi -

We just stayed in room #6 for four nights in May - we loved that place, it was such a great deal. I don't know what type of room it qualified as - it was only 90 euros a night, and had a bedroom, living/kitchen (with an another bed), and huge bathroom. It was huge. I believe all of the houses there have great views from the private terraces. We hardly spent any time inside though - only for sleeping, really. We were either out or sitting on the terrace.

The only downside to #6 was the long walk down (and back up) the stairs to get to it, but all that exercise was good for us.

Have fun!

Southfield, MI
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Oia Houses

Thank you all so much, I decided to book a studio. From all the reviews it really sounds like a wonderful place! I'm most looking forward to the views.

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Oia Houses

My daughter and I stayed in Old Oia Houses in June. They originally put us in what must have been #6, where Heiho stayed. Wonderful house with the largest bathroom I've ever seen in Europe - and the view!!! But the following morning they sent someone by to say they were going to have to move us to another room - they had made a mistake and needed that room for a party of 3. We weren't too happy about the move, but agreed because we didn't want this second party to be left in the lurch. We lost about an hour of sightseeing time packing up after just unpacking the evening before. They moved our luggage while we were out for the day. When we returned, we found we'd been put in a room less than 1/4 the size of our first room. The bedroom wasn't as large as the bathroom from our first cavehouse. I was so upset,I let it ruin my whole evening. I didn't really complain, because it's hard to win an argument with someone who doesn't speak fluent English, and there was nothing to do about it at this point. I will say the second room had a fantastic view, as well, but was a definite step down. It took several hours, but I got over it.

I don't think they did this deliberately - but this just confirms what another guest said in their review, that this hotel is not well organized.

Everytime I went by the Lotza restaurant to pay for our room, no one was there that could help me. We made several trips. I did request that they come off the price because of the inconvenience. They dropped $15 off the three-night's price. Not much of a discount, in my mind.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Oia Houses

softballmom- what was the number of the second room you were moved to at Old Oia houses?

6. Re: Old Oia Houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 05:17