We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

We are a family of 4 - children 14 & 12,

We'll be staying in Oia. What should we do whilst there?

Sorry to be so vague, but I'm having trouble finding information.

It is our first Greece Trip and the children are great travellers. Also, is 3 days sufficient time?

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

Hello!

You can do many many things in Santorini.

When are you coming?

You can join boat tours, rent a car, visit and swim at beaches, see ancient Thira.....

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,344 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

Well somebody has to say this.

All the infomation has already been provided many times, all you have to do is plonk your phrase 'What to do in Santorini' into the search box in the green box above and get a pretty good idea from previous answers.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

I agree with Retired_Hippy on that. Also you can find 23 good things to do in Santorini at the frontpage of TA about Santorini.

If you search on forum posts you will find some other travelers with family that had exactly the same information.

If you need something special or more information about some activities come back here :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

<<We are a family of 4 - children 14 & 12, We'll be staying in Oia. What should we do whilst there?>>

Why did you choose Oia before knowing what you'd do there, how suitable it is for children, or apparently any research at all on the island?

As to difficulty finding info, type 'santorini' into google and you'd probably get a million hits. I've just tried that (ok its 4.8Million) , the first page is all websites with tons of info on what to do, with the first link www.santorini.net providing a link to an online and downloadable guidebook on its first page.

FWIW. without knowing when you are going there, your question cannot be answered in any case. If its next week I wish you luck. If its July, did you book a place with a pool ?

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

My apologies everyone.....

We'll be there 2nd week of September 2010.

My question should have been - is 3 days enough to appreciate Santorini?

We decided to stay in Oia as friends have been and recommended it. We are after a cultural holiday. We obviously will go to the beach, dine in tavernas etc.

Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

Read the online guidebook I pointed you at in my previous message.

Is 3 days long enough? Well, you can see all of Santorini in that time, its a small island. Whether its long enough for you is impossible to answer, I could spend a week looking at the view and reaching over my book for my next Mythos, others would be bored after a day and want to be off to the next island.

I don't know what a 'cultural' holiday means (and I"m not being funny). There is an exhibition of wall paintings from Akrotiri and a couple of museums in Fira plus some very ruined ruins above Kamari, if that qualifies as cultural, thats a day to see them.

Santorini is a big tourist magnet, so it has that side as well (try walking against the flow in the main alleys in Fira when 4 or 5, 2,000+ capacity liners have disgorged their clientele at once) , I dont know if that qualifies as 'cultural' or not , but don't imagine its a quaint little island where the villagers see a dozen tourists a year, the hotel owners go off for their (well-earned) vacation in Thailand or whatever in the winter :-)

I dont want to put you off, Oia is a great place for chilling out, personally I dont think its the absolute *best* place to explore the island from but you are only there for 3 days and you do avoid the main crowds apart from noon and sunset.

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

Dear I amnot agree with joeintheuk.

santorini isnot very bysy at 2week of september.oia for me is the best place to stay in santorini.the settlement of oia has maintained the particular characteristics traditional architectural and a visitor residing in the oia has many it sees also a lot of parts visiting as -cave houses-

The cave houses carved into the rock, are the simplest form of house in Oia. The builders of these cave houses tried to gain the necessary space despite the strong inclination of the rocky soil, all houses have the same properties, namely they are deep long-narrowed and have a vaulted ceiling. The reason for this lies in the construction of these buildings, they were literally dug out of hard volcanic rock (Aspa), which is a combination of mixed granules and porcelain. Since these houses are dug out, good ventilation and light is only accessible at the front. The front has in the middle a door, and on both sides windows. Often the door itself contains a small window called "skylight window". Usually the hall is split in two rooms: a large room at the front called "sala" and small one in the back called "sotokamari", which were used as a bedroom. The toilet, called "brovas", is a separated building and has also a vaulted ceiling.

for more info visit www.oia.gr

dont forget to visit the thirassia island too

thanks

chatsworth, ga
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

My husband and I visited Santoini in May 2009, and loved it. I think that you need at least 3 days to be able to see Santorini, and I think that Oia is a great place to stay and see the island. Having said this, you will probably want to rent a car for a couple of days so that you can see the rest of the island. Some of the things that your children may enjoy doing and seeing would be: (1) to go to either Kamari or Perissia Beach (I preferred Kamari),(2) a daytime boat tour (we sailed with Captain Ted, which is a bit expensive but lots of fun), and (3) swimming at Ammoudi Bay. My husband and I walked down the steps to Ammoundi Bay and ate lunch at one of the taverna's and then walked over to the swimming area, which was very nice. Another activity that they might enjoy would be to hike from Oia to Fira, which takes about 3 hours, and needs to be done very early in the morning because of the heat. If you do not want to walk the entire trail you can do as we did. We walked part of the trail, and then turned around and walked back. The views are beautiful, and it has great photo ops.

We loved Santorini, and especially loved Oia. I know that you will have a great time.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

i think oia is a great base and your kids are plenty old enough to appreciate the beauty of the village and the views .

i would suggest renting a car to maximize your short time , spare yourself the shabby seaside places and poor beaches but go swimming at amoudi bay , below oia.

definitely visit ancient thera !

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Santorini for 3 days.....

Thank you for all your replies - they are much appreciated.

Since posting my question, I have done extensive research and decided to stay in Firosefani.