We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why Oia?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Why Oia?

Hello,

I am trying to zero down on a hotel in Santorini for my trip during the last week of May.

Have been reading a lot of reviews and trying to decide whether to choose a hotel in Oia or Firastefani.

Is it true that Oia gets swarmed with tourists during sunset?

I am ideally looking for a hotel which has a decent view of the caldera and I can see the white houses with blue domes from my balcony..(I picture Santorini that way).

Can someone help me choose between the two locations? One hotel I am looking into is Villa Ilias at Firastefani and the hotels in Oia that I am considering at Marizan villas and Filotera.

Thanks

Amit

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,819 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why Oia?

Yes, the village begins to fill with those who want to see the sunset about an hour before and most are gone by about an hour afterward.

It's not the houses that have the blue domes, it's a few of the chapels. I don't recall if any are visible from Filotera but none are visible from Marizan. Marizan has a sunset view but only an obstructed caldera view. Filotera has an excellent caldera view but no sunset view. It can be very windy at sunset where Marizan is located, and you will be surrounded by sunset-watchers but they'll all be above you and not in your line of sight.

Villa Ilias is a very good hotel and Firostefani is not crowded at sunset.

Oia is the most beautiful and timeless village with the most architecturally intact traditional "feel".

Mumbai
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why Oia?

Thanks BLL.

According to you, Firastefani has both sunset views and Caldera views right?

I dont crave for full sunset or full caldera views- just as long as I can see some of it from my room.

Why i was intrigued with Villa Ilias is because some pictures on TA shows lovely houses lit up at night...

I assume this must be case with Oia as well..

I would like to lean towards Oia based on your suggestion

Any hotels that would recommend around the 100euro/night budget in Oia?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,819 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why Oia?

From Firostefani the sun setting in the sea is only visible for a short time every year as you can see in this photo. The rest of the year it is blocked by land. …tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/16/3d/24/s…

If you take a room on the caldera in Firostefani or Oia you will have excellent views.

In Oia check Thea Studios, Old Oia Houses, Fotinos Houses, Villa Kallisti, Casa Sofia and Delfini Hotel.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,176 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why Oia?

would also recommend aris cavesd in oia for amazing caldera views off your private terrace and that "oia view" you are looking for - no sunset view, however.

suggest one of the semi private catamaran cruises for an amazing sunset experience - guaranteed crowd-free

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,569 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why Oia?

Here is to give you an idea about Oia:

http://tinyurl.com/cq6dtp

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,819 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why Oia?

Aris Caves is an excellent choice. Unfortunately in late-May the cheapest room is €125.

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why Oia?

When I checked Aris Caves had a 4 night minimum.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why Oia?

We will be staying in Oia in Sept. 2010 for three nights.

Selected Katikies for our stay.

What about the hotel location and accommodations?

What about the view and sunsets?

Just curious.

Mike

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,819 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why Oia?

Convenient location, comfortable rooms, excellent caldera views but no sunset view from that part of Oia.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why Oia?

BLL...

Where should we go for a sunset view?

Just returned from Turks last Sunday and had amazing views everynight from The Somerset on Grace Bay.

Would like the same in Oia.

Mike