We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer in Santorini

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Beer in Santorini

Hello all,

We're heading to Oia in late September. Rather than worry about accommodation, caldera views, sunsets etc, my question is far more basic...

As the first night is my birthday, I wondered what choice of pubs (or more likely, bars) there are which will be able to serve me a beer or two after we've had a nice meal at a taverna ?

Also what price can I expect to pay for a 500ml draught beer at said establishments ? I realise this won't be the type of beer I have here in Sussex - cold and fizzy is absolutely fine for this particular trip.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer in Santorini

You're right, it won't be 'real' beer, it's most likely you'll be drinking cold and fizzy Euro-lager. The 2 best selling Greek brands are Mythos and Alfa. Amstel is also very popular. Depending on where you go, it'll either be draught, usually sold a 'small' or 'large', or bottles, either 33cl or 50cl.

In Perissa and Kamari, the price for a large Mythos/Alfa is around the two and a half to three euro mark, God know's how much they'll sting you for it in Oia, but one thing you can be sure of, it will cost more, especially if you go somewhere with 'the view'.

Pubs, as we know them in the UK don't really exists, apart from one place that I'm aware of, in Fira called Murphys. In Oia, it's more mellow chilled out bars.

Martin

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer in Santorini

Thanks Martin - my first rule of travelling is never to go anywhere where beer is more expensive than at home, quite a challenge this summer with the (still) weak pound. And I'll never see Scandinavia...

That's actually what I paid in Paxos a couple of summers ago, so not bad at all. I'm wondering if some resorts have dropped their prices a bit to encourage tourists to return ? And you say that Oia might be pricier. Sounds like a couple of cold ones from the supermarket on the balcony are in order.

Mike

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer in Santorini

Funnily enough, I'm off to Scandinavia on Friday - Norway, mega expensive.

I've found that although prices haven't come down, they haven't actually gone up by very much at all, in Perissa anyway, where there is healthy competition between the various bars etc. I think those prices I quoted hhave been the same for a couple of years now.

Oia is a completely different beast though, catering for the more high end travellers and those with enogh money not to realise how expensive things can be up there.

Shop around, I could be wrong, I've never acually stayed in Oia, just gone for day trips where you don't mind getting ripped off so much, I couldn't aford to pay those prices for a long stay though.

When are you there? I'm going 28th September, from Manchester, the Thomas Cook mornng flight (I think).

Martin

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer in Santorini

Getting married on 25th, flying out to Athens from Gatwick on 26th and birthday evening in Santorini 27th. Sadly, we only have 3 nights there before island hopping to somewhere a bit cheaper (Paros and Naxos).

It's interesting to see some Brits on here worried about the money side of things in the posher resorts of Santorini, and from what you say, it's as well to be prepared. I have a list of good but reasonably priced tavernas to try. I'm sure it's possible to have a great time without breaking the bank. Fancy French restuarants are not our thing, just decent traditional Greek food, and from what I've read, we'll be fine.

Have a good trip !

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,285 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer in Santorini

I've read that beer at Murphy's cost as much as €8 but I do believe they have the sort of beer you're used to. Also sold in bars and markets: Heineken.

kendal, cumbria
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer in Santorini

Avoid Murphy s if cost is an issue. 2 small (330ml) Mythos,middle of the afternoon in late June 2010 was 11Euro-absolute rip-off.

Didnt even pay close to that for 2 500ml ones anywhere else in over 3 weeks.Stick with supermarkets as much as possible.If you do go somewhere new dont be shy-ask the price before you order!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer in Santorini

Thanks for the info BLL. I like a nice pint but not at any cost, even if it is my birthday ! I get the impression that there's plenty of options in Oia and I'll go to bed gently merry, and hopefully not penniless.

Right - off to the local : pubsgalore.co.uk/images/…60440_5cc39e4a.jpg

!!!!!

Mike

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer in Santorini

Thanks Island Hopper - my mind is made up now !

Mike

Monemvasia, Greece
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer in Santorini

The only I need to mention is that to have a cheap beer in Perissa will cost you on a taxi ride because you said if I took this ok that you will stay to Oia, Perissa is at the opposite side, at night I doubt about bus, so if you have a motorcycle etc it's propably ok, but if you need to get a taxi, forget about Perissa's beer...

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer in Santorini

Just back - best price in Oia for a 500ml beer was 3 Euros at the gyros place by the bus stop. 3.50 at the blue taverna on it's own near the far churches (great meatballs, rubbish loos) and (rather surprisingly) at The Sunset Taverna at Ammoudhi. After that it's pick a number I'm afraid - 6 euros at the bar opposite Old Oia Houses and a crazy 8 euros at the Meteora bar for a "Craft" beer. Not even a full pint either - we made our excuses and left very quickly.

My top tip - get a couple of cold ones from any supermarket and sit on your balcony with one of the best views in the world.

Mike

Get answers to your questions about Oia
Recent Conversations