We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comfortable place to stay

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex,UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
371 reviews
Save Topic
Comfortable place to stay

I am currently being treated with chemotherapy, but want to plan and look forward to a nice restful holiday after all the stress.

What we are looking for is somewhere comfortable (so no hard beds, spartan furniture, fights for loungers/umbrellas) that has a nice view of the caldera, a room with a balcony, has a pool, is close to shops and restaurants, but also does a nice breakfast (not just coffee and croissants). Does such a place exist? Our budget is £150 a night MAX.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comfortable place to stay

Gracie,

What a nice thing to plan when you've got other things going on around you.

Maybe if you could let us know if you can handle stairs, that could help us. Otherwise, we might be suggesting places that aren't suitable for you. I personally like the Scirocco in Fira (below Cathedral, with view and pool but none of the hustle and bustle) - however, it has many stairs to get there.

Best wishes.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Comfortable place to stay

Yes, are steps an issue? And just how far your money will stretch depends on when you plan to go. Do you know that yet? Also, is Oia your preferred village?

Essex,UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comfortable place to stay

I hadn't thought of that, but breathlessness is one of the (many) after effects. Lots of steps would be a problem.

We'd like to be there for a week and are aiming for some time in the late May/early June period.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comfortable place to stay

. . . and my choice is also in Fira, so if its Oia you're after, please feel free to ignore my post. That'll teach me to try and reply in a hurry!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Comfortable place to stay

In Oia check Rimida Villas and Olympic Villas. Both have a pool and caldera view but there aren't very many steps. I'm not sure if Olympic offers breakfast, but they do have a snack bar and there's a market practically next door. You have to request the caldera view at Olympic or you might get a room without the view.

Essex,UK
Level Contributor
197 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comfortable place to stay

I don't really have any particular preference for a village/town in which to stay, but think it would be a shame if we were (say) on the wrong side of the island when everyone else was enjoying caldera/sunset views and we had a beach view (which you can get anywhere to be frank).

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Comfortable place to stay

Fira, Firostefani, Imerovigli and Oia all sit on the west coast of Santorini, and all have caldera/sunset views.

My personal favourite is the capital Fira. Oia is too much like a postcard.

Realistically, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these villages, provided the accommodation fits your needs.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 16:17
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,011 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Comfortable place to stay

One unfortunate aspect of the hotels with a caldera view in Fira is that almost every one requires some strenuous step climbing to reach. The exceptions are Atlantis Hotel and Theoxenia Hotel, but both are located in the busiest part of the village so you would be surrounded by shops and foot traffic. One other possibility is Pantelia Suites but I'm not sure how many steps are required to reach the rooms.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,190 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comfortable place to stay

I know this option is back in Fira - however, I believe the Panorama Hotel has been completely redone and once finished it will be the first caldera hotel with an elevator. It will have will have 7 standard rooms and 8 suites with jacuzzi's. Standard double room with B&B (June to September) is €160 per night.

http://www.panoramahotel.com.gr/Reserv.htm

BLL / local experts - are the taxis allowed to get right up to that location (past Atlantis Hotel to the caldera view pathway)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Comfortable place to stay

I've always fancied the Atlantis for ease of access, although the swimming pool area doesn't look too great in the TA review photos. The views from the balconies are pretty stunning. Surrounded by shops and foot traffic isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I guess it depends on how lively you like your holiday.