We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in rooms?

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Topic
Bugs in rooms?

Hi -

VERY excited about our upcoming trip this July. My family and I are staying in one of the amazing cave apartments in Oia. It sounds like a fantastic place, but I read on one of the reviews (out of a hundred or so) that there might be flys and bugs in the rooms. Could this be true? If so, anything we should do to prepare or minimize them for our stay. I don't care much, but I want to make sure my in laws have a wonderful trip. In the review I read the girl said they ruined the trip for her.

Thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in rooms?

Well, certainly you can't plan for something as unfortunate and unforseeable as a room full of bugs, so if you do find bugs and can't change rooms and can't get the owner to do anything about it the best solution I can think of would be to buy a can of bug spray repellent from the store when you get there and use it while you're out exploring the island, then air out the room when you return. I don't know what else you could do. There is what passes for a tiny hardware store on the main road in Oia. I can't tell you exactly where it is, but it's obviously not a food market. This would be a good place to find some bug spray. Unless you speak Greek be prepared to mime spraying and killing little flying critters to the proprietor. It's difficult to find anything in there.

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in rooms?

Well, it sounds like bugs are pretty uncommon. The review made it seem like flies and spiders were everywhere, but great to hear that's not true.

Thanks again.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in rooms?

We've never had problems with bugs in our rooms..... I've seen some posts on here about mosquitos and wasps, but have never encountered any myself- don't think it will be a problem.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in rooms?

Mosquitoes and flies can potentially be found in any room, as they fly in through open windows. They're not usually a problem when it's windy (which it often is in Oia) but if it's hot and there's no wind, they will most likely be about. Best thing you can do is keep windows closed (or open with curtains drawn / shutters closed) during the day to avoid flies, and windows or shutters closed during the night to avoid mossies. If you are a mossie magnet, you may also want to invest in a plug-in repellent to use at dusk and overnight.

I imagine if you look very carefully, you may find spiders in most cave houses at one time or another, but these are small and harmless (and probably cowering in a corner as far away from you as they can).

5. Re: Bugs in rooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:40
Get answers to your questions about Oia
Recent Conversations