We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing "short-shorts"?

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Wearing "short-shorts"?

So I'm not sure if this is a silly question or not, but I heard from a female friend that wearing "short shorts" in Europe isn't appropriate. I will be in Malta/Gozo/Greece(Santorini) through July and August, and I am not prepared to wear pants/capris in the heat. I would assume she meant in churches and other religious centers. Could someone inform me if this is true or not, please?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

Are we talking hot pants or knee-length? You'll see knee-length to mid-thigh all the time.

East Patchogue, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

Definitely not as long as knee length, nor as short as hot pants. I'm talking mid thigh maybe an inch shorter?

P.S. This is the OP, forgot I posted on my boyfriends account, sorry :)

Edited: 07 June 2012, 05:49
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

I say if you've got the legs for it, why not!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
109 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

Who is saying all these things????Is the first time that I hear that Europe and Greece have dress codes.

Greece
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

Even if you come wearing your panties you wont experience any issues!!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
109 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

Thats true decryal. I can not understand who is making all this statements about touristic places. I think that the press and media have turned everything to be like a jungle and chaos for their own benefits. Please dear guys don't listen to anyone statement. Better ask people that live and work on the island. Is the most unbelievable statement that I have heard about here.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

I've seen notices posted outside some of the churches requesting that shorts should not be worn, presumably as a mark of respect, but that hasn't stopped people going in, me included, in shorts and tshirt.

If you see some of the outfits that some of the beautiful Greek girls wear you'd soon see that your friend is totally incorrect - "short shorts" rule!!!!

Martin

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

If it is OK in Central Park NY, it is OK in any island. When entering churches and monastries you should be prepared to cover your knees and shoulders.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

I recall seeing two women on Perivolos beach wearing absolutely nothing... so short - shorts won't be a problem!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing "short-shorts"?

It would be a mark of disrespect to wear ultra short shorts into a church or monastery. If we are out travelling anywhere in Greece, and it's likely that will will visit a religious building, my wife always takes a very lightweight wrap around skirt and a pashmina with which she can cover her shoulders. I have seen local people looking at young women wearing next to nothing in total disgust and disbelief that they would have the gall to enter a church dressed in such a way, especially in rural areas.

Get answers to your questions about Oia
Recent Conversations