We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Oia Houses...?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Old Oia Houses...?

Hi everyone. Me again..

Thanks for all the help so far, I've basically been planning my trip on a lot of what Tripadvisor friends have suggested! :)

A lodging suggestion in Oia peaked our interest, Old Oia Houses... Has anyone stayed there of knows the area? We are looking for a studio to accommodate 2 people in late June. Any suggestions for specific rooms? Also, does anyone know how to get there from the Thira port?

As usual, thanks a lot for all the help!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

I know the area well although I can't give you specifics about the rooms. The views of the caldera from that part of the village are excellent. From the port you can take the port bus into Fira and catch the next bus to Oia. From the bus square follow the foot traffic flow up the cliff into the main square, turn right and walk about 300 yards to Lotza Restaurant where you check in. You can also take a taxi or transfer service from the port to Oia. Ask to be taken to the post office. Walk through the archway, turn right and walk the short distance to Lotza, about 50 yards or less.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

Regarding specific rooms,some will involve a number of steps and some are on street level with few steps involved . The properties on street level are called Venetian 1 and Venetian 2, they also have a studio on street level. We are staying with Old Oia Houses for the first time this summer.

They can organise xfers from the port for you and the cost would be 25 euro,s one way or as Brotherlee advises take the cheaper option via the bus.

From initial enquiry to making a booking and then asking to have xfers organised communication with them has been excellent.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,987 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

We stayed in one of them for 3 nights in 2011, but I can't now recall the name. It was a short distance uphill from the Lotza, with level entry from the roadway. We found it pleasant and comfortable.

The bedroom: nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/…Oiahouse.jpg

View from our balcony: nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/images/Santorini/13…

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

The bedroom photo that nick mentions above is the Venetian 1 Bedroom..

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

Hi again

We stayed here a couple of years ago, excellent accomodation and the view was wonderful and the balcony was very private too . We stayed in room no. 5 - heres my review along with a couple of photos of the views

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g482941-d5…

Finland
Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

We have stayed two times and can highly recommend. We love bigger apartment behind red door (owner knows what I mean :). There is two apartments (one for 4-5 persons and another for 2 persons I think) and both of them have wonderful view to caldera and bigger apartment have spacious terrace. Unfortunately we can´t go to Santorini this year. If we were going there, definitely to this apartment.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions. I think we're going to look into getting Venetian 1. Everything just looks to picturesque! We're very excited, especially since FINDING all of these places will be an adventure itself!

Brotherleelove, given the location of OOH, do you suggest we rent a car from the port, since we're only staying in Santorini 4 days?

Thanks!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

I'd maybe wait until you get to Oia itself before hiring a car from the Port.

There are more dealers in the village and you might get a better deal if you shop around and play one off against the other. The dealers at the Port may not be so flexible, a bit like getting a car from the main dealers at an airport.

That's what I'd do anyway, my two cents worth.

Martin

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

We also had Venetian house 1. Definitely recommend the house!! So gorgeous ;-) Originally we had a studio room but were upgraded to a venetian house. Just loved the views from our balcony and rooftop terrace...a dream come true!

Transfers from port to hotel are inexpensive, and the hosts are more than happy to meet up with you upon arrival in Oia.

Happy planning!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Oia Houses...?

If this is your first time to Santorini I would let someone else do the driving from the port - I'm hugely sentimental, and that first sighting of a blue dome, and then when we approached Oia, is something I'll never forget - so we were glad we weren't driving ourselves! The bus system there is wonderful - we were able to make it a week before we got a car. The Santorini guidebook (I forget the name of it) that you'll receive when you check in should have special offers inside - we used the one from Vazeo and it was 25 Euros per day, and you can leave the car at the port.

Get answers to your questions about Oia
Recent Conversations