We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private pool

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Private pool

Hi, we'll be going on our honeymoon end of September to mid-Oct. Planning to be in Santorini for 4-6 days (haven't confirmed yet) as our last leg (Oct 12-19, thereabouts) for some much needed relaxation. Was wondering if there're any hotels you can rcommend in Oia that has a private pool?

Hoping to spend less than 300 euros/night if possible...

Are there any hotels that actually has an unobstructed view of the sunset? From pictures, seems like a lot of view are blocked by Thirasia. I really hope to see sunset all the way down the horizon. I understand that a lot has to do with the time of the year. Any suggestion on how I may find out the position of the sun? Thanks a bunch!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private pool

There are two private pools at Perivolas Villas but the cost is higher. 3 of the suites at the Oia Castle Hotel have private pools but they're indoors and the cost is higher.

Unobstructed sunset views: Oia Castle Hotel, Fanari Villas, Esperas Houses, Golden Sunset Villas, Marizan Villas and Theodora Suites. Thirassia is sufficiently south of west as to not be an issue for these hotels at sunset from June through September. In October your best chance for that would be at Fanari Villas and Marizan Villas.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private pool

Thanks a bunch!

I've heard tons and actually read from your posts that Imerovigli is the better spot for sunset due to its elevation compared to Oia and Fira. Are there any hotels at Imerovigli that offers an unobstructed view as well? I just like to see what options I have. Thanks.

From my understanding, by mid-Oct, it should be the low season already on the island, so I shouldn't experienced too much congestion right?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private pool

In Imerovigli any hotel right on the cliff and overlooking the caldera will have an unobstructed view of the sunset. That's what's great about Imerovigli.

Check here: http://tinyurl.com/l654p9q These are all €200/night or more.

Correct, it will be quiet in October, especially in Imerovigli.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private pool

Thanks. Any particular one you recommend for an unobstructed sunset view?

I don't know why but I'm so wary that Thirassia will obstruct the view of seeing the sun set on the horizon.

I checked Marizan and unfortunately, it's all sold out during the week I'm there :(

So I'm definitely looking at other options now.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private pool

Let me amend my previous statement about all hotels in Imerovigli having an unobstructed view. I realized that not all of them actually do. It's the ones on the north side of Skaros Rock and/or highest up on the cliff that have that view for sure, but the reality is that by mid-October it's not Thirassia you have to worry about. The sun will have begun shifting northwesterly by then. Look at this photo: http://tinyurl.com/m86feal That little island is right off the tip of Oia. This photo was taken from the Imerovigli Palace Hotel, so check out their website as a possibility. That's Sikinos and Ios off in the distance. This is what you'd see from Imerovigli. If you do a Google Images Search for the name of the hotel you're considering along with the word 'sunset', e.g. "Imerovigli Palace Sunset" you will find a mixture of their photo gallery shots mixed with some from their guests. You'll also find those here on TA on the review pages for those hotels.

And I must warn you that by mid-October the nights can sometimes be overcast, which means it's possible you'll have no sunset view at all.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private pool

hm...how do I know if a hotel is "north side of Skaros Rock and/or highest up on the cliff" to ensure I'll get the view?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private pool

I guess the best determiner of location you can find is going to be in the website photo gallery showing the sunset, and have no doubt that if the hotel is positioned for it you'll see a photo of the sunset every time. If it's similar to the photo from the Imerovigli Palace Hotel with nothing obvious blocking the sunset then it's fine.

8. Re: Private pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Oia
Recent Conversations