We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White blue stone house stay

Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
White blue stone house stay

Hi everyone! We will like to stay in white/blue stone hse in oia, any gd recommendation? I read reviews like tourists will gather at the front of these houses so I will appreciate if any one can shed light on the privacy of these accommodations. Thank u!!!

Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White blue stone house stay

Btw we are looking at 8-11 jun :)

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White blue stone house stay

If you mean the white buildings with blue domed roofs, they're actually churches, not hotels or houses - you won't be able to stay in one of those.

Before any of the Oia experts can help you with suggestions, they need to know your maximum nightly hotel budget, in € if possible. Also, any other preferences you might have - pool, sunset/caldera views, private terraces, jacuzzi, whether or not steps are an issue (many Oia hotels require a certain level of step negotiating, etc etc etc.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 10:40
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White blue stone house stay

There are many good recommendations, either on the forum or by looking at the reviews of 'hotels' or 'holiday rentals' tabs at the top of the page.

Another option is by using the filter system on www.booking.com.

Otherwise, please provide your maximum, daily accommodation budget, in EUROS.

Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White blue stone house stay

Oh I don't mean the church but those small houses in oia, painted white and with doors in blue. Our budget is e150 each night for 3 nights. Will love to have sunset views on private Balcony, with daily breakfast. We don't fancy pool so it's fine without it. We are able to climb steps so it's not a problem as long as the place is private enough. Thanks for ur help :)

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White blue stone house stay

Be aware that sunset views are rarer than caldera views.

No accommodation is allowed to block the view of another in Oia, so you'll have some view, but there may be some element of balconies around you - how much, will depend on the particular location. Deal with that when you've got some names to select from. However, I'm not an expert on Oia accommodations, so I'll let those that are chip in when they can.

There is a public pool in Oia, called Lioyerma. Its free to use - as long as you buy some food from them. Its a nice place - I've used it once.

http://www.lioyerma.gr

Here are the photos I took when I was at Lioyerma a few years ago: https:/…

Edited: 05 February 2014, 11:30
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White blue stone house stay

<< Oh I don't mean the church but those small houses in oia, painted white and with doors in blue >>

That's about 99.9% of all the places in Oia then.

Like kennydon, I'm no expert on Oia (you need to wait until America wakes up - that's where most of the Oia experts are based), but if I was able to stay in Oia, I'd much prefer a caldera view over a sunset one.

As kennydon says, there are limited choices of sunset view hotels - I'd rather have an all-day view out over the volcano and caldera - you'll get views that will stay in your memory for a lifetime.

Get a caldera view hotel, enjoy the daily spectacle of watching the cruise ships and ferries come and go and just join in the nightly circus to watch the sunset.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White blue stone house stay

This is what I wrote last month when someone else was asking about sunset vs. caldera views:

"A caldera view provides all day entertainment and pleasure.

From an early morning awakening to venture outside and see the mirror like calmness before the day's marine craft start venturing on her. Seeing the first ferry or cruise ship of the day arrive at one end of the caldera and watch them progress to either the Old Port or Athinios. If you're at Fira, the scurrying of the tender boats servicing the cruise passengers to offload them ASAP at the quayside. The volcano tour boats as they head to the volcano, then to the hot springs and over to Thirassia, next to Oia and finally counting them 'home' in the dusk, many times in formation. Or the sunset tour boats trying to get the best position at the edge of the caldera for their passengers. To watch the sun set - even if its behind Thirassia - and then change colors about 30 minutes after, if not cloudy. To the freakiness that I'd never seen before of 'losing' the Akrotiri peninsula when a wall of mist rolls in and obliterates everything. (I remember BLL telling the story of mist covering everything and hearing the ferries sounding their horns when approaching the caldera).

Nope - give me a caldera view over sunset any day."

Here's the link to that discussion: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k71…

Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White blue stone house stay

ok thank you guys for all your valuable advice! is there any suitable place for viewing caldera with privacy (like private balcony/patio) and with not many people walking past or loitering around? budget is e150 per night for 3 nights.

Level Contributor
60 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White blue stone house stay

also preferably in cave/stone house with side view of the blue dome (church) :)

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White blue stone house stay

As previously stated, wait until the Oia experts are up and about. I don't want to suggest something that's not suitable and I'm not all that familiar with accommodation in Oia. They'll be along before too long, I'm sure. You'll just have to be patient.

Get answers to your questions about Oia
Recent Conversations