We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Oia

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
driving to Oia

We are staying in Fira. I was told the ride to Oia is a scarey one because of the cliffs. Is that true? Similar to the Amalfi Coast? What would be the best way to get to that part of the island? Most people I spoke with rent a small car to drive there. Is there any other way. I hear the sunset is just beautiful from that point of the Island/

Thank you, Mamacat58

Michigan
Level Contributor
99 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Oia

The (short) drive from Fira to Oia is not scary. Driving up from the ferry port was a bit stressful, as well as other drives up and down mountains in manual transmission cars for those of us not used to them, but it is worth it and I did not feel hounded to speed up or drive differently than I was.

While the sunsets are particularly spectacular in Oia, I suspect you will experience wonderful sunsets all over Santorini.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Oia

I wouldn't say that the road from Fira to Oia is "scary", as such, but it does get narrow and very twisty in places.

There are a couple of places on the highest point of the road where you can see the Aegean on both sides, but that's about it.

There are also some places where you'll be able to pull over for photo opportunities.

Just use due care and attention, be aware of the bends in the road and don't be intimidated by the mad Greek drivers if they try to overtake you on blind bends.

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Oia

Thank you, Your posts make me feel a little bit more at ease. I am still not sure if we are going to rent a car or we will take a bus. But thank you for your post. I appreciate it.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Oia

There's a secondary road between Fira and Oia that follows along the eastern coastline. It's basically flat and straight and there is very little traffic on it. http://www.santoriniweb.com/map.pdf

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to Oia

Thank you for that informAtion

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to Oia

I would avoid cars and go with a cab.

7. Re: driving to Oia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:16