We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

Which Oia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

I didn't want to be rude and intrude on the other op's thread but my question is basically the same. I have already decided on 218 and Katharos Lounge for 2 evenings as I just love the look of them in terms of ambience and vibe but I (like everyone else I suppose) am looking for "that definitive perfect sunset view" for the first night. I have been doing research but am still torn and all I seem to achieve by looking more is that my list just gets longer so I think I need some help, thanks in advance.

The short list is Pelekanos ,Ochra, Floga, Kastro.

Where is that perfect spot for the sunset?

Also what time does the sunset the first week in September?. We are staying at Island Blue cave house so where are these restaurants in relation to the cave house?. I just want to get this right, thanks.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

For times of sunrise and sunset you can look up Santorini on www.timeanddate.com.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

Thanks for the link, very helpful. I have it down to Kastro and Pelekanos now but wonder which is closest to Island Blue cave house.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

Because the sun sets norht of west in September the best restaurants for an unobstructed sunset view in September will be Katharos Lounge and the Ochre Wine Bar.

Look at this map: santorini-hotels.info/santorini-island-santo…

Island Blue is in C-4. Ochre Wine Bar is in B-2. I'm not exactly sure where Katharos Lounge is located but it's further down the road to Amoudi, then somewhere off on a side road, on the cliff above Katharos Beach.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

Pelekanos is closest to Island Blue, but as I've mentioned, the sunset will not be 100% unobstructed because of the sun setting north of west. The same situation applies to Kastro Restaurant.

5. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 13:27
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

Thanks for your replies. I think "what you would like to see in your sunset" is a very good point for me to think about and I think for me personally I would prefer a little something else be it a wind mill or a bit of cycladic arcitecture (please forgive spelling!)

The map of Oia is very helpful, would be even better if all the restaurants and places to stay were on it but I guess they have to pay to be on the map, still a help. The location of the setting sun is getting a little beyond me though, yet another thing to take into account!. Never realised these sunsets could get so complicated!. I think maybe I am just trying too hard at this stage and should just enjoy Oia from wherever I may be during my time there. I am certainly set on 218 degrees and Katharos Lounge for 2 nights anyway but despite best efforts will probably continue to drive myself mad with the others right up till the time we go!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

<< I think maybe I am just trying too hard at this stage >>

I agree, you're over thinking the whole thing. At the end of the day (no pun intended). it's a sunset, nothing more, nothing less. It's the whole tourist industry hype that's turned the Oia sunset into some quasi religious experience that you *must* do or feel that you've missed out in some way.

<< and should just enjoy Oia from wherever I may be during my time there. >>

Couldn't agree more. What if, after all this planning, anticipation and stressing about it, you get a crappy sunset - it happens - anyone who builds a whole holiday around a particular experience, especially one that you've no control over, is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Oia is beautiful, just enjoy it for what it is and see the sunset as a bonus, not the raison d'etre for being there in the first place.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

Personally, I'd be paying more attention to the reviews of the actual restaurant. Its no good sitting in a stunning location if the food is lousy - not that I think they would be, but don't lose sight of that fact.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

Thanks again for your replies. I am paying attention to the food quality as well as the view honestly!, although it is quite easy to just concentrate on the photos and loose sight of the food!.

Regards Ochra I am wavering over the not so great recent reviews

Regards Kastro I am wondering if the food is very much secondary to the view and I don't want to kick the holiday off with a disappointing meal.

Several restaurants seem to be really on form at present, Floga and a japanese one called Oozora. great fun looking

Edited: 30 July 2014, 16:17
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorry , Another Restaurant Question!

I've had several meals at Kastro over the years. They've all been very good.