We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wine

Hi,

can you please suggest which wine to drink?

What is the best red or white wine in Oia?

Thank you

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine

Just try them all :-))

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,996 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine

independent.co.uk/travel/europe/when-it-come…

greeka.com/cyclades/…santorini-wineries.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santorini_(wine)

For me, the local vinsanto is generally too sweet - except the one sometimes offered at Nikolas Taverna in Fira.

Other times, its just a matter of what I feel like at the time. Generally a red to accompany the wonderfully tender lamb shank at Metaxi Mas (although the red that Jacob at the Windmill Restaurant over on Thirassia isn't bad), or a rose watching the sunset on my balcony and a white for the fish I had a Galini's between Monolithos and Kamari.

Sample and enjoy.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,192 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine

Vinsanto is absolutely delicious as an after dinner wine, especially poured over ice, which takes some of the sweetness away. It's a lovely raisin-y deeply flavoured wine, ask for the better quality stuff if they have it, it's worth the extra few cents it costs.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine

Hi

Most taverns and restaurants serve local wine per kilo (yes, kilo in Greece and not litre.!).These wines are young wines, mainly from the season before, Best winery's are (for my taste) Argyros, Hatzidakis and Gavalas and I only drink red wine. But if you like white nichteri/nikteri or assyrtiko is good. Vinsanto is rarely served as a free drink after dinner, they genrally give you mezzo which is a less sweet and less expensive wine then vinsanto, but you can of coures order vinsanto yourself after food if they supply it.

Ingela

Edited: 30 July 2014, 17:28
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,628 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine

There is a small, award-winning boutique winery with a tasting room located in Oia called Sigalas. They're located down the narrow road that starts on the main road next to the Santorini Mou Taverna.

CHESTERFIELD
Level Contributor
507 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine

Hi,

There is a Santorini wine brand called Atlantis, depending on what restaurant you are in the prices will vary but we paid about 21 euros at a taverna in Oia. Both the red and white are very nice indeed. The red is full bodied and fruity and the white is crisp and dry with citrus notes. I wish we could buy it back home.

Enjoy!

Regards

Gill

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine

:-) I will!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine

No matter where I am in Greece, I just ask the waiter at the tavern if they make their own wine...and if they do, I order that one!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine

If you are interested in wines I can suggest like me and my husband to take a wine tour with Santorini Wine Tour at the beginning of your stay. After that we knew what to order with our meals :)

10. Re: Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Oia