We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus drivers in Santorini

Which Fira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingscliff...
1 post
Save Topic
Bus drivers in Santorini

Bus drivers can be arrogant and totally disrespectful . I was told by the bus conductor and driver that the bus for the port would be leaving at 10:30am. I had loaded my luggage in the storage compartment at 10:20am. My daughter wanted to buy something at a nearby store. When we returned at 10:24 the bus was driving out into the street. My 14year old daughter had to chase the bus and plead with the bus driver to stop. When we got on he abused us. This experience left us with a foul taste. Very disappointing. I will never return.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

In the future you'd best stay home then and walk everywhere. Bus drivers the world over can be rude and disrespectful.

CRETE
Level Contributor
301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

You were lucky that he stopped. Many bus drivers in Greece stop when they see that someone is chasing the bus. In some other places around the world the bus drivers do not stop. What is happening in your country?

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
448 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

I was in Santorini about 1 month ago & also did not have a great experience wih the Santorini bus drivers. One side of the loading area was full, they were insisting in a rude way to keep on piling it up and only after the suitcases really did not fit in - they were ready to open the other side. When buying the ticket I had to insist to receive my exchange. My impression was : These people are seriously underpaid & hate their jobs, hate tourists. And yes, they might be slightly more rude or more unhelpful versus other busdrivers in other countries. For such a touristy island, I was a bit disappointed to see this behaviour & for the record, I go often to Greece & met other bus drivers, taxi drivers, etc.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
350 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

I can understand all of you that had bed experience with some obviously stupid behavior bus drivers, but that's not a reason for not come back here. Yes sometimes we meet in our life some very rude people, what can we do? If you will go to a bank and they are rude to you, you will never go back in a bank?

It's good that you wrote this topic because you give us a point in order tp try to improve our services, I will inform some rensponsible person's at the bus company just to make a small step.

Some times there are some regulation that you might not understand. For example a bus can't stop where ever they want or where ever there is a person, and many drivers that have stop they do it because they like to service people, so they are also good bus drivers, not only in Santorini but all over the wolrd.

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

I know if I chased a bus here in the UK there is no way on earth they would just stop for you, thats why we have bus stops.

Its a bit harsh to say you would never go back there because you put your bags on the coach, then you go off to go to a shop but left your bags on there.

Frustrating maybe, but not the bus drivers fault

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

I live in NYC and every day I watch people run, and pound on the bus door only to watch the bus take off. Unfortunately, this is the etiquette most bus drivers around the world are accustomed to and Santorini is probably no different. I do think one that tells you to leave your stuff on the bus and then takes off though is crossing the line all together.

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
448 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

@Tuareggs : Tx in advance for bringing this to the attention of the responsible people in Santorini - would find it a real shame that tourists have these memories of their stay & it's usually these small incidents which stay on the memory. The bus system in Santorini is very popular, many tourists come in contact with the bus drivers - it's double important their behaviour is stepped up a bit - after all, Santorini lives of tourism :) I would not expect that all the bus drivers speak english fluently but would expect some basics in language, manners from drivers that meet hundreds of tourists/day. They represent Santorini with its high quality hotels, restaurants and they should fit in that high standard.

(btw, we loved our stay, I loved the walk from Fira to Oia and thankfully took a bus back !, had great fun @ Mama's place in Fira and have warm memories of our trip)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

I suspect that your watch was not set to the same time as the bus drivers watch, so he went at 1030 his time, and perhaps his abuse was on account of you holding up the bus? Because IME for a Greek bus to leave early would be almost unprecedented.

Also, according to your timing, you spent just 4 minutes to walk from bus station to a shop, to select and purchase an item, and get back to the bus station, all in just 4 minutes. Are you sure it wasn't a little longer?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

I love Santrorini and in the last ten years I never had a single bad experience on the island.

However, I think it is fair to say that the bus station if Fira often operates very chaotically and that some of the bus drivers are not very friendly. This Monday we tried to get the 18.30 bus from Fira to Kamari. None of the buses displayed Fira-Kamari on the LCDs in their front windows. The guy at the information desk told us to enter the white bus parked near the news-stand. After two minutes we were told to get off the bus and to enter the bus which was parked near the information desk. There was a Fira-Perissa sign on this bus. When I asked the driver if this was the right bus to Kamari, he became very annoyed and shouted at me. The bus left the station at 18.23. There were less than 10 passengers on the bus (nobody knew that it was the bus to Kamari). Also a bizarre thing happened during the ride. A young guy was selling the bus tickets and another guy was checking the validity of tickets a few seconds after the tickets were sold.

Basingstoke, UK
Level Contributor
150 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus drivers in Santorini

I have just returned from Santorini and didnt have a problems with the drivers or the conductor, to be honest one of the conductors had a lovely chat with us!

I can assure you that i have received worst service from the buses here in the UK!!!!!!

Sarahx