We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

BC Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

Anybody know anything about a new company called Santorini Planet.Com that is offering boat transfers for cruise ship passengers from dockside to below Oia with bus up to town and then bus back to Fira? Curious to hear from anyone who has used the service

thanks

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

I've read about this and think it's a great alternative for those who put Oia at the top of their list of 'must-sees' on Santorini. I think I remember that they don't leave the dock until they're full which, depending on your allotted time ashore, could seriously cut into your time in Oia. I see from their website that there are only 3 scheduled morning departure times you have to choose from. Something to keep in mind is the return trip to Fira. That aspect of the tour is covered by the island's bus system, so you have to be aware of the return schedule. It's posted in the bus square and you can see it here: http://www.ktel-santorini.gr The schedule changes as demand increases.

If your stop in Santorini is in July or August you will be fighting for space on the crowded buses and might have to take a taxi back to Fira instead.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 04:16
Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

Yes, it sounds like a bit of a time saving way to reach Oia if you want to do your own exploring. I suppose they will give you the time table for the busses back to Fira. AND have in mind that you have to take the cable car down in very good time before your ship leave, genearally 1 1/2 hour before. Or if you walk down, count on a 30 min. walk.

A good thing to know also is that IF you book a tour to Oia (through your ship), you will be taken off the ship before everyone else! Most of the cruises will then take you to the port of Athinios where the tour bus will wait and will take you straight to Oia (the trip will take about 30-40 minutes). For some cruise ships, the guide will wait for you in the port of Oia, take you to the cable car and follow you to the bus a short walk from up in Fira (from there it will take 25 min to Oia),

So check prices before you book the tour with SantoriniPlanet.

Ingela

BC Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

Thanks for the input. We are not there until Sept, so will watch and see how this service is or isn't working.

At present we are the only ship listed in port for that day, so perhaps not so busy as some days?

4. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 12:28
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

Thanks for all the updated information.

6. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 12:28
Oz
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

I'm also very interested in this service being offered.

I plan to be in Oia for the sunset along with a few thousand other tourists.

My concern has always been the uncontrolled stampede for the public bus back to Fira after the sunset and how long you would need to wait before being able to get on.

I have just had a look at the website for Santoriniplanet and it appears the last transfer to Oia is 15.15 and they allow you a maximum of 4hrs before heading back to Fira. This unfortunately won't allow enough time for the sunset.

Does anyone have any alternative ideas to the public bus? How readily available are taxis and can you prebook to guarantee a transfer back to Fira?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

Taxis are of course coming and going in and out of Oia every day, all day and into the evening.

Booking one is a definite possibility but I would have them pick you up somewhere away from the bus square so they aren't poached by someone else. I suggest the Anemomilos Hotel. From the bus square walk 1km back towards Fira.

santorini-taxi.gr/index.php…

Oz
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

Thats a great suggestion - thank you.

I'm guessing cost for the taxi ride back including booking fee for evening will be around 20 Euro?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Ship Transfers from Fira Dockside?

I was being quoted €25-30 for Oia to Fira in the daytime the other week.

Definitely don't try and get them down at Ammoudi. I've never seen the quayside down there so busy. Parking is an absolute nightmare. It's so jam-packed, I thought some cars wouldn't be able to squeeze through the limited space and back up the road to Oia.

Having said that, taxis were still collecting passengers in the evening when I was waiting for the late boat to Thirassia. And having trouble identifying which group for which taxi.

Mind you - the Fira to Oia boat transfer was certainly doing a roaring trade. I was sitting at Katina's for a couple of hours and the boats coming and going were packed. I don't think they volcano tour boats either.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 13:57