We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos, Greece Cruise ship excursion or on your own

Which Fira hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos, Greece Cruise ship excursion or on your own

We visited Mykonos as part of a 12-day Greece, Turkey, Italy cruise in July on Celebrity Reflection. Before taking our trip, I researched quite a bit to determine whether to take cruise ship excursions or on-our-own excursions. I had a difficult time finding postings with such recommendations so I'm sharing the logic I used to make the decisions and the results of our choices.

Unlike Santorini, the island of Mykonos is flat; there's no having to journey up 800 feet to get on the island. We opted for a day on-on-own and were pleased with the choice. Although we had to tender, the boat dropped us right at the Mykonos town. Being in Mykonos is like being on set of Mamma Mia. Everywhere you turn, it's quite picturesque with views of the crystal clear Aegean Sea or flowering plants.

A few pointers: To find the taxi-stand, wander along the waterfront and on the right-hand side you'll come to an open square. This is where the taxi stand is. It's not well-marked. If you want to journey to another part of the island, you can easily get a taxi here. We didn't realize this so kept walking up towards the main road, only to be told that we had to backtrack back to the taxi stand. Although we'd initially wanted to visit one of the legendary beaches, we gave up and decided just to enjoy Mykonos. We spent hours getting lost in the windy streets, looking through shops, and eating yummy Greek food. I wanted to swim in the Aegean and there is a small public beach right along the main street. It was clean and cool and fulfilled my goal.

Had I to do it over again, we could've have explored a different part of the island had I planned a little more ahead. If you want to do this, I'd recommend getting a map of Mykonos before you go. The only map we got from the cruise ship had the main shopping district (ie, Diamonds International stores) so it wasn't very useful. I would've felt more confident about getting away from the ship had I had a better understanding of the layout and travel time between the port and varying cities.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,372 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos, Greece Cruise ship excursion or on your own

Hi learnlovelivetravel: Glad to hear you enjoyed your day on Mykonos. Sounds like you had a very good visit despite not making it to one of the top beaches.

Actually, there have been many, many posts in the Mykonos forum that have offered advice on exploring the island independently versus taking a cruise excursion. Questions asking which way is best for day cruisers to see the island are asked here -- and answered -- dozens of times each year. I've answered many of the posts myself, and have often included links to online maps of Mykonos Town and the island, and have provided directions to the bus stations where you can catch buses to the major beaches. Finding the information does mean having to scroll through the pages of previous forum posts, and of course some replies are more detailed than others, but the information is certainly there.

By the way, you posted your observations in the Santorini forum instead of on the Mykonos forum ... in future, as a result, your post could be missed by people researching Mykonos cruise ship excursion advice.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 00:38
Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos, Greece Cruise ship excursion or on your own

Thanks!

3. Re: Mykonos, Greece Cruise ship excursion or on your own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 05:18