We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

r c
Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

I understand some enterprising soul has established a warehouse in Ogdensburg to receive goods for Canadians wishing to purchase goods from elsewhere in the US and bring them back through Canadian Customs personally.

Contact info please.

11 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

Interested. Please provide details on this.

Thanks again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

The UPS Store Ogdensburg: http://theupsstorelocal.com/2946/

WNY
Level Contributor
155 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

I was here looking for info for our upcoming trip to SLCounty and saw your post so just adding I've been using Corporate Center (812 Proctor Avenue Ogdensburg, NY 13669), just past the bridge - check out their website. Kind people, always willing to take the time to answer calls/emails on packages, etc. $3/pk with no "late fee" surcharges, etc. Was fab to be able to order stuff and just let it stack up until the winter storms had passed so I didn't have the extra stress of "having" to get there. I go down every quarter or so for my packages. Good folks and great rates!

cheers,

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

Great info! My question is how much hassle should I expect coming back over through customs? Im planning to head over for the day with the kids to pick up some shoes (ordered them to the receiving address...was thinking we'd just wear them back over). does anyone have any experience they could share or advice as to what to say coming back (it will be a same day crossing)?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

You should declare the shoes that you purchased in the US and pay the applicable duty and taxes. If it's a small amount, they may not even bother.

Customs Officers aren't stupid, they've seen the "wear the new clothes home" trick. If you don't declare them, and are caught lying, you will have to pay the duties, taxes and perhaps penalties. And you'll have to report to secondary inspection every time you cross the border for the next 7 years. Is it worth it just to save a few bucks?

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

"we'd just wear them"

"We"? You plan to go over for just one day and then you're all going to wear brand new shoes when you go through customs? I'll bet that could work if you throw away your old ones so there's no chance a customs officer will wonder about all those brand new shoes you're all wearing and then find the same number of pairs of old shoes in the trunk as the number of people wearing new shoes.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

Why don´t you just order from Amazon? Or the maker if its a designer brand? Or E-bay, or for shoes www.zappos.com. I find it ridiculous to purchase large-ticket items in USA now when I can just have them shipped direct. Amazon, UPS, Apple, Microsoft ... all major sellers ship directly to Canada, Mexico, US remote places. It totally saves stress and money. I just bought my ridiculously expensive new computer from Apple online, it will be delivered to me safe and smart in my México home, problems? I just send it back for a replacement or refund. I am not a rich girl, it really saves money in the long run just ordering. Back in the day 20 yrs ago yes it made sense to go to USA to shop but not now.

New York City
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

Panch04

There are taxes and customs issues for canada and alot of sellers will not ship to Canada for these reasons. Shipping is about half the price to ship to NY vs shipping to Canada

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

Is it a day trip so that you are not entitled to the personal exemption for bringing goods home? cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-en…

New York City
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods

I sell online and frequently I get buyers from Canada and Mexico who have US address as many sellers wont ship to either country. I hate to tell you how many times Ive shipped stuff to San Ysidro, CA (Its harder to tell with US Canadian border than like San Ysidro, CA which is basically a spot on the map)

Reply to: receiving address for Canadians purchasing US goods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ogdensburg