We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak Foliage

Canastota, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Peak Foliage

My husband and I have been to Old Forge many times as many of our family members. I t is a beautiful example of nature's display of seasonal transition on the east coast of US. It offers so many great things to do and we have done them with our children (now grown and married) and look forward to our grandchildren being a part of the history, fun, and paleted display of leaves in the fall.

Could you please have more info on the "peak season" available to those who are seeking to take in the sights of Old Forge area during that time??

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak Foliage

The "peak" for "peeping" the leaves can vary yearly...rain, wind, and temps,

but typically, thats'the coming season! The area has lots to do in fall, as everything is open, and the mix of leaf chamge with evergreen is great for the color 'rush'..Mid Sept to first week of October.,

The drive here will be beautiful, and enhance it with a Chairlift ride at McCauley Mt Ski Area, (OF), or Adirondack Railways' Train Ride is lots of fun, of course, the ultimate is booking a seaplane ride with Payne's Seaplane Service on 7th Lake...all the shops have sales to clear out the seasonal stuff, the day hikes are most rewarding and range in skill from really easy (Moss Lake Big Moose Rd, Eagle Bay), or an easy climb up Rocky Mt, Bald Mt, or even really easy "Eagle Cliff".. Cool, crisp, autumn nights,,I cannot wait!

..always glad to help answer questions..

have fun!

Canastota, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak Foliage

Thanks for the info and mention of things to do.....my sister -in- law, cousin's wife, and I all turn 60 this year and are celebrating a girls day trip to Old Forge ....lots of peeping, and peeking at the leaves, and the shops and of course indulging in lunch.

Looks like the second or third week of September will be our plan for the journey.....thanks again.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak Foliage

the seaplane ride is awesome!!!..do it!!! have fun!

Syracuse, NY USA
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Peak Foliage

Do you feel that the 29/30th of Sept. is too late for peak foliage in Old Forge area?? We are planning an outing for 3 days at that time.

Kathy from Syracuse, NY

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peak Foliage

I personally do not think it will be too late. I am heading up this weekend for just one night and will report back on the color. I also take a peak at the webcam on McCauley now and then and it looks like we are a ways from peak. I think the webcam is fairly accurate.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peak Foliage

you should be perfect for foliage that weekend..it may be a bit before peak..

lots of red this year! have fun!

Ontario, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Peak Foliage

Do you have a link to the seaplane rides to check prices or book in advance?

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peak Foliage

although the leaves are past peak, there is still color..Paynes' Sea Plane Service , Rt 28, Inlet, 315.357.3971, will schedule you a ride.have fun!

9. Re: Peak Foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Old Forge
Recent Conversations
More Old Forge Topics