We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Ontario Camping - help!

Kansas
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Ontario Camping - help!

I'm a midwesterner on a mission to see your great state from the Lake Ontario side. We have the first week of August set aside to drive the camper/young family up through Niagara Falls to the lower Lake Ontario area. We would like a state park with hiking, biking, nature stuff. Any ideas? Any must-sees? Hints for travel? Thanks for the help!

Kansas Julie

Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Ontario Camping - help!

Upstate New York is a GREAT place to start exploring... we love it there!! Some GREAT camping right along Lake Ontario can be found at Four Mile Creek State Park. Beautiful state park with lots to offer... there are many campsites that are right along the lake too. It's very popular. It is a great base camp for seeing the Niagara Falls area, as it is only about 10 miles away or so. Very easy to go back and forth. AND.. your camping pass will allow you FREE PARKING at Niagara Falls State Park (where you can get up close and personal with the Falls!!). You cannot go wrong with this place!

About 50 minutes further down from Four Mile Creek SP, and also right along Lake Ontario, is another one called Golden Hill State Park. It is a hidden gem... really pretty with some awesome lakeside campsites!! There is a lighthouse right in the park that you can tour as well.

And a little further down from that one is Hamlin Beach State Park -- which is another nice one. This place would be a good base camp for sightseeing the Rochester Area. Rochester offers a ton to do and see, esp for kids/families.

With you only having a week to work with... you won't be able to even scratch the surface of all there is to do and see in the area... but if you can stay a few nites at each at the mentioned places, and see some stuff in the those areas -- as well as spend some time enjoying what the state parks themselves have to offer -- I think you will be pleased.... (and look forward to coming back for more another time!! LOL)

Hope this helped a little! :o)

--Carolyn

ontario ny
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Ontario Camping - help!

Was wondering how old the kids are ? As mentioned four mile creek might be a good place to start. If you go to Niagara Falls State park the "cave of the winds" tour to the base of the falls was very exciting and if your up to it ( my wife wasn't) you can walk up to the "Hurricane Deck" , which is at the end of the wooden walkway , almost under the falls. The "maid of the mist" boat ride is also a wet but exciting trip up to the falls.

Golden Hills is a nice park right on the lake as is Hamlin beach state park.

I'm not sure what kind of swimming is at Golden hills but Hamlin has some good access( Algae blooms might affect swimming) and plenty of bike riding. On a rainy day you could take in the Strong museum of play in Rochester.

( from strongs web site) Recognized as one of the nation’s top museums for families and children, Strong National Museum of Play® is home to the National Toy Hall of Fame®, the International Center for the History of Electronic Games™, and the world’s largest collection of toys, dolls, games, and other items that celebrate play. http://www.museumofplay.org/ I would recomend Fair Haven state park, it's a nice park about an hour east of Rochester. I think it would be a nice place to spend a couple day and you can visit Chimney Bluffs SP (Land and water clash at Chimney Bluffs, sculpting the most dramatic landscape on the Lake Ontario shore) not far from there. It isn't to far from Niagara, 2--21/2 hrs. ( These statements are from the NYS parks website) Fair Haven Beach State Park is located in upstate New York on the Lake Ontario shoreline. It has one of the finest public lakefronts in upstate New York, with towering shoreline bluffs, sandy beaches and adjoining hilly woodlands. The park features 1500 feet of beautiful sand beach including 600 feet of guarded swim area. Inland, Sterling Pond and Creek are centrally located amongst the geological transition between woods and water.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/

I could on and on about things to do here (We live east of Rochester a few miles from Lake Ontario) but it takes forever for me to type. The Finger lakes is also another amazing place just south of here but you could spend a week easy down there. any other questions you can contact me if you wish 315-524-4190. Good luck ,

Fisherray

3. Re: Lake Ontario Camping - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 07:27
Get answers to your questions about Ontario