We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pine island an old florida gem

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
pine island an old florida gem

i recently discovered Pine Island, a hidden gem of a place that has resisted over development and still retains an old Florida charm. To be honest I really love exotic destinations and places off the beaten path, I was really pleasantly surprised to find an island that avoided large hotels and chain stores and instead opted for lush tropical plantations, sleepy tiki bars and seafood restaurants. Pine Island does not have miles of beaches but what is does have is world class kayaking through mangrove trees, amazing fishing, boating, and the opportunity to explore out islands with unspoiled beaches. It reminds me of the best of central America with all the benefits of a developed country. Its two main areas, St James City and Bokeelia are places that are close to civilization but feel worlds away. In my book the best of both worlds. Would be happy to answer any questions regarding the island

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pine island an old florida gem

Sounds nice. But is this place in NY or FL? You posted in the NY State forum.

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pine island an old florida gem

it is in florida, unfortunately tripadvisor does not have a forum for pine island in florida. wasnt until after i posted that i realized it was a ny forum

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pine island an old florida gem

Well, you piqued my interest. May look into it for a future vacation. You could probably request that a forum for Pine Island be created.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pine island an old florida gem

There acctually is a pine island ny just over the ny state line from vernon

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pine island an old florida gem

i have, so far no luck

Chicago
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pine island an old florida gem

Thanks for your post. I usually take my family to Sanibel and rent a condo right on the beach. I've seen quite a few homes for rent on Pine Island and wondered what it was like? It is similar to Sanibel where you have a strip to walk to? We have three teenagers so we want to make sure there is enough for them to do on their own. Sanibel is great because the beach and strip are within walking distance for them. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pine island an old florida gem

Matlacha, the small village when you first enter Pine Island has shops and restaurants but Pine Island is not built up. It is rare to see kids or teenagers on the island and the island is best suited for those that enjoy boating, kayaking, fishing, etc. Pine island does not have a beach so one has to boat or drive to the beach.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
595 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pine island an old florida gem

Where is the nearest beach to Pine Island?

Get answers to your questions about Pine Island