We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

area opinions from a local point of view

NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
area opinions from a local point of view

I just checked out the listing for my town and am amazed at the recommendations listed. When arriving for a weekend of relaxation and romance the PaR Lodge is really the only choice you have. Great lodge and fantastic service. In town we have several national chain hotels, most are located right off I-87, expect nothing "special" but most are clean and affordable. I would probably stay in Holiday Inn or Baymont Inn if I had to choose. There is a huge misrepresentation on the restaurants in town. While the Naked Turtle is on the Lake and a popular choice for the locals, the food is mediocre at best and its more of a waterfront bar than a restaurant. Think high school for adults. For a "nice meal" try Iris's, Dominic's or Anthony's. Looking for a casual good time and dinner out? Think the Smoked Pepper, Arnies, or one of the several chains in town like the Ground Round or Ninety-nine. We have great little city full of history, natural beauty and close to lots of other places to visit like Burlington, Vermont, Lake Placid, New York and Montreal, Canada. Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh is a great town to visit!!

plattsburgh NY
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

I also live in Plattsburgh. Very accurate review.

Iris's and Dominics: best resteraunts to be sure. Iris's wins on service.

Arnies: Small, family owned, good food, very reasonable.

Ground Round and Ninety Nine: Think TGIF or Applebees, which we also have. What you would expect.

Naked Turtle: Let's face it, it's a bar with a better than average bar kitchen.

Terrebonne, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

Hi, we want to travel for a couple of days this winter to plattsburg to do some shopping but wonder if there is any outside activities that are interesting to do?

SAVANNAH
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

Hi, My husband grew up in Plattsburgh at the base there. I think they were there about 11 years. The family left when he was 16 or 17. He has not been back and through our 35 years of marriage, he has talked about going back for a visit, which we are planning in the late spring. You mentioned Arnie's which caught my attention. His father always talked about Arnie's Pizza and said he hadn't found one better since leaving Plattsburgh. Is this the same restaurant? Thanks mjrdar@AOL.com

SAVANNAH
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

What is the PaR Lodge? mjrdar@AOL.com

Tupper Lake, NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

boule- not much to do here in winter, but great one hour trip is to Motreal- Biodome, Botanical Gardens (indoors) and lots of clubs, etc. Quick trip to another land.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

Lots to do in winter, but you've got to get outdoors. Otherwise, you're at a tiny mall, or home watching reality TV.

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

Regarding the previous post, I think it's "Point au Roche Lodge". We were looking for lodging near Port Kent, and that's about all we found other than Econo Lodge etc. So we'll be staying on the VT side, and going over to NY before we hit the train.

Hudson, NY
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

Iris's is a great restaurant. The quality, frankly, is not something I would have expected to find in Northern NY. Well worth the trip for someone vacationing in the nearby Adirondacks.

9. Re: area opinions from a local point of view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 09:18