We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

We are driving from NYC to St. Albans on Saturday, leaving at around 9 am. The mapping directions I get seem to offer two choices that take roughly the same amount of time (@6.5 hrs.): north on I-87 in NY all the way up, crossing into VT through Alburgh and south to St. Albans; or I-87 up to Glenn Falls, then 149/4 to VT and 22A/7 north to Burlington, then I-89 to St. Albans. Any information about which is more scenic, likely traffic volume, hidden problems that MapQuest/Google Maps don't recognize, or other helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

New York
Level Contributor
773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

We always travel up I-87 and cross over the lake at the Port Kent Ferrie. It is an enjoyable 1 hour crossing bringing you into Burlington Vermont where we spend sometime in the center Market Place, shops and resturants.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

I-87 up to Glenn Falls, then 1494 to VT and 7 north to Burlington, then I-89 to St. Albans is a great drive.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

Thank you for the replies and advice. Based on our schedule and all of the advice we ave received, I think we will take I-87 up and cross to VT via Alsburg, and then take the other route back, maybe taking the ferry during the week at some point.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

for schedule and more info www.ferries.com

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

So you would drive all the way north on I-87 and then to Rouses Point, NY to get to St. Albans? I hope you realize how slow this approach is. This route does not make any sense to get to your final destination, IMHO, but this is your vacation.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

FYI, if you are making this drive and you are in a hurry, I recommend the I-87 route, crossing into Vermont via Rouse's Point. Contrary to being a "slow approach", I made the trip from NYC to the cottage we rented on St. Albans Bay, VT in about 6-1/2 hours, including several stops totaling about an hour. I researched the ferries and also spoke with some locals who confirmed my suspicion that the ferries can be scenic, but diverting to them from the highway, then waiting to board, boarding, disembarking, and getting back to your route will add time.

7. Re: Driving to Lake Champlain area on Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 09:19