We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

Greetings:

How busy is this ferry during weekends in February, March, and April? Are car reservations a really good idea, or, is there plenty of room to just show up?

Thanks for any info!

7 replies to this topic
Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

Depends on the day. I've always made reservations, but most of the time, those without were able to get on.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

Wow...I realize its been 2 years...but...how busy is the ferry these days on a Sunday afternoon? My son has a game at SUNY Stony Brook, which looks like [based on Google Maps] is just 5 miles from the ferry. I'd like to take the ferry from Port Jefferson @ 3 pm to Bridgeport onroute home. Do I need reservations for the 3 pm ferry? If my son's game goes to overtime, we may have to take the 4 pm ferry.

Thanks in advance for any info...

Cheers!

conn
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

its always a good idea to make car reservations

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

I've never taken that ferry, but have been to Port Jeff countless times. the ferry seems very busy during the nicer months. I would make a reservation for the later time. If you have extra time, you could walk around the town, have an ice cream or something. It is a cute little town area.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

Thanks for the info. I'll make a reservation, for this Sunday, April 21. Is this period considered to be in the 'nicer months' timeframe?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

I just took the ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport. It was a rainy Monday morning, April 29, 2013. I called to be sure the website info was accurate and was told I should be there a half hour before the scheduled departure time, so 8:30 am for the 9:00 am ferry. I didn't have a reservation and the person on the phone didn't mention that I should get one. I was late and got there at about 8:45 am, but I got on with no problem. I was lucky--if it were more crowded I would have had to wait.

Note that they allow dogs, but not in the main cabin where the food concession stand is. There is no enclosed outside space, and since it was raining I stood outside under the stairs with my dog for a lot of the ride, which took about an hour. Not great conditions. You can sit in your car, though, so that's an option if you have dogs and it's raining. The crew was very nice.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT

Yeah, we did take the ferry that Sunday. Reservations weren’t needed [although we did reserve], seems most cars were unreserved/standby, and can arrive with less than 15 minutes and still get onboard. I would think standby will be tougher in high season. The advantage to reservations is that you load first, and most likely disembark first. I say ‘most likely’ because the cars get arranged into queues on the ferry. We were probably the 30th car to load [the reserved lines loads first], but got put to the front and was the 4th car to leave the ferry.

The cabin tends to get full, and the bar room gets lets people. As you say, you can just sit in the vehicle, which seems a lot of people did. There is a large open area on the top deck, but that’s a miserable place in the rain.

I thought the entrance sign was difficult to see. We drove by it once, and almost missed it again from the other direction. Cute little town.

Reply to: Long Island Ferry: Port Jefferson to Bridgeport, CT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Jefferson