We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

DAY 7 (Sunday) – FAYETTE. This is a totally rural location, where I went to church. The formal organization of the LDS Church and the first actual worship service were held at this farm about 25 miles east of Palmyra. The Whitmer family gave Joseph Smith and his wife a quiet place here to live and study. The Church has a historic site at Fayette with the farm house and fields, and a chapel is located on the property. It is a Mormon custom, as in many churches, to ask visitors to introduce themselves, and in the adult Sunday School class, about half the attendees were not regular members of the congregation. After church, the “outsiders” stayed to tour the visitor center and the Whitmer home and farm.

Returning to Palmyra, took the scenic route through the charming town of Waterloo (“Birthplace of Memorial Day”) and along the north ends of Seneca and Canandaigua lakes, two of the Finger Lakes. I had been told that these were popular resorts and Canandaigua lakeshore homes are among the priciest in the country. I didn’t focus too much on the properties or the resort aspect, trying to keep the spirit of the Sabbath, but it was obvious from the crowds and traffic that this is a prime vacation area. I went through downtown Canandaigua and again enjoyed the 19th century architecture, including the imposing domed courthouse.

DAY 8 (Monday) – PALMYRA. My last full day. I took a ride via Newark to Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. Newark is bigger, and according to my hosts, bought into the urban renewal fever and scrapped much of its historic downtown. Indeed, it lacked the village atmosphere of other towns. The wildlife refuge is small compared to some in the West. But it is a place for birds of many kinds to nest and breed. Not much mammal life was out, but I saw some great blue herons.

From there, I went a little south to Seneca Falls, to see the Women’s Rights National Historic Park. Upstate NY was a hotbed of suffragette activity in the 19th century, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, and Carrie Chapman Catt are honored there, along with other important female leaders in various fields.

Back in Palmyra, I finished seeing the museums, walked around some of the other neighborhoods, and visited the local historic cemeteries. One huge cemetery near the south side of town had something intriguing that I had never seen before. It was a stone tomb or mausoleum set into a hillside with prominent lettering: “Public Vault” and 1848. I suppose that meant anyone could purchase space there, rather than being a vault for a specific family. Maybe it was the equivalent of a potter’s field, but for cremated remains rather than bodies.

Curiosity killed the cat just once, and I decided to try Palmyra’s one Chinese restaurant. It was not the greatest gourmet experience of my life. They tried, but it didn’t work. While I was there, several people came in to pick up phone-in orders. I surmised that they were locals whose experience with Chinese food was limited. At least I helped that nice family pay their rent. When I told my hostess later that I had gone there, she chuckled knowingly.

I felt drawn to the Sacred Grove and the Hill Cumorah one last time, and not knowing when I might return, I took the time to go back and feel the special atmosphere. Toward the end of the day, I drove back to the Canal in the adjoining town of Macedon, where there is a park built around one of the locks. I had been to this park before as well as the marina ar Palmyra, and found it relaxing to be immersed, so to speak, in trees and water.

DAY 9 (Tuesday) – ENROUTE HOME. Over a leisurely breakfast, I had a last chat with my hostess, Barbara; Bob had already gone to his day job. She was delighted that I'd had such a wonderful time, and that they and their home had been part of it. After bidding farewell, I went to one last Church history site, the farm north of town formerly owned by Martin Harris. He was an important early leader, who provided the funds for the initial publication of the Book of Mormon. His home is gone, but the house that stands there now is unique. It was built by a later owner from lakestone, cobbles from golf ball to baseball size gathered from around Lake Ontario. This was a common building material around the Great Lakes. The stones were sorted by size and appearance and used with mortar to create durable insulated walls and a refined but countrified look.

On SR 31 westbound, city traffic began to appear around Pittsford. When I got to Rochester, I had plenty of time before my flight but not enough for any major museum or house tours. So I looked around the city a little and decided to spend my last couple of hours out in the country. I followed a road sign for Spencerport, knowing nothing about it but guessing that it was on the Canal. It was a good choice, a little town with a pleasant street of shops and restaurants, a small marina, and a lift bridge across the Canal. This is not a drawbridge with an articulating joint, but a one-piece span that rises and lowers vertically. I walked onto it, suddenly heard a bell clanging, and looked around for the train--and then realized the bridge was being raised for a vessel to pass under it! I had not had the good luck to see the Macedon-Palmyra canal lock in operation, but while I was at Spencerport, I saw the lift bridge in action twice.

This time, my flights went off with no glitches: ROC-DTW and then DTW-SFO. I was allowed to carry on both of my bags, and this leg of the trip was first-class so I got fed. I landed on time and returned home after a marvelous trip: new sights, fine people, and wonderful experiences.

The End :)

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

Wow,Frisco! What a great and detailed trip report! Thank you for that.

I've lived in western New York (Spencerport, among other places) all my life and didn't know about some of the spots you visited. Glad that you enjoyed our little part of the world.

Come back soon and concentrate on the Finger Lakes area... you love natural beauty... you just got to see the "tip" of the best the area has to offer.

Thanks again.

Lynn

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

A fine report, F'Roadrunner. Thank you.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

I'm glad I finally took the time to read your reports. I grew up in Marion and now live in Palmyra and it is very interesting to read a visitor's thoughts on an area that is so familiar to me - sometimes I get caught up in my daily life and forget about the great things we have so near to us.

I'm so glad you had a good time exploring our town and those around it!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

Thanks for the TR. I enjoyed it. Wasn't Mark Twain from Palmyra? Glad you enjoyed the canadian side of Niagara Falls. Too bad you did not have time to see Niagara On The Lake. Beautiful old village next to Fort NIagara. Just beautiful.

Glad you had such a nice time. Were you travelling alone? If you were, kuddos to you.

I just love the Hill Comorah Pagent...the people put so much time and effort into it. Truely amazing.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

Hi, sweetsherry--thanks for the posiive feedback! I wish I could have spent longer in the area, because there is a lot to see. Maybe I'll have a chance to go back someday. :)

Yes, I was traveling solo. I don't believe in staying home just because I can't find anyone else who can go on a trip or wants to go to where I want to go. And I always have a great time!

Mark Twain from Palmyra? I seem to recall he was from somewhere along the Mississippi River. Maybe he spent some time in Palmyra, but I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about him during my stay. I did learn that Admiral William Sampson of Spanish-American War fame and Henry Wells, co-founder of Wells Fargo, were born there. Today most city folk would think of it as a little town, but it seems to have been quite a place in the 19th century because of the Erie Canal.

The New York Times had a big story about the Hill Cumorah Pageant just after I returned home.

…nytimes.com/2007/…

6. Re: Trip Report: Kirtland - Niagara - Palmyra. Part 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 11:23