We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoors 1/2 day trip

Which Rochester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
178 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoors 1/2 day trip

We will be taking our daughter to UR in late August. My daughter and I have shopping to do. Any suggestions for how my husband and son (age 15)could spend five or six hours? They prefer being outdoors and love swimming.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoors 1/2 day trip

Hmmm...That's a tough one. The beaches here are pretty gross, and closed frequently for poor water quality. Public pools are limited.

The best park in the area for hiking in is Mendon Ponds Park.

www.monroecounty.gov/parks-mendonponds.php

There is a nice little amusement park with a water area called Seabreeze.

http://www.seabreeze.com/

They could rent kayaks at either of these two places:

http://www.baycreek.com/

geneseewaterways.org/rentals/center.php

(That one is REALLY close to U of R)

If I get any other ideas I'll post back. Welcome to Rochester and enjoy your move in day. We'll be moving our youngest into Worcester Polytech this fall. Grass is always greener someplace else I guess! :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
178 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoors 1/2 day trip

Hi Carmen,

Thanks for your suggestions. We live in the Boston suburbs about 1/2 hour from WPI. Let me know if you have questions about the area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoors 1/2 day trip

We have several malls:

East View Mall in Victor: 25 minutes away

Marketplace Mall: 5-10 minutes away

Greece Town Mall: 20 minutes away

Southtown Plaza- 5 minutes away

Personally, my favorite place to shop is the Wretham Outlet Mall in Massachusetts. Seems like you have the best stores. On your route to Rochester, you will pass the Waterloo Premium Outlet Mall...similar to yours, but much smaller, and not as many upscale stores...just different ones. Probably more similar to your Lee Prime Outlets.

If not shopping, we have plenty of other things to do. Do a search on the Strong Museum....they have recently renovated and are now the U.S.'s largest interactive children's museum....with a new state of the art butterfly conservatory.

The Cheesecake factory just opened up at Pittsford Plaza. There is a Marshall's across the street.

I could try to find out if non-neighbors are allowed to use the Riverton pool. It is a very large housing/apt. complex in Henrietta...about 5-10 minutes from the college if you like.If you have more detailed questions, just send me a personal message. I have 2 children at the Rochester Institute of Technology and I have lived in Rochester all my life.

Any chance you can get the family in to use the U of R pool if they have one? I know the pools at RIT are just amazing. One is an olympic lap pool, and the other is shaped like a lazy river.

4. Re: Outdoors 1/2 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 05:22