We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Back To Rochester

washington, dc
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Traveling Back To Rochester

hi. i am an old rochester native. i am coming back to rochester because my boyfriend wants to see where i grew up. i grew up in gates, but from the age of 18-24 i lived in the park ave/east ave/monroe ave area. i am now in my mid-30s and i now live in dc. can someone reccommend a decent hotel in rochester -- i can't seem to find anything interesting online. in addition, how are the restaurants there now? can anyone recommend anything hip, trendy -- but good!

thanks for the help!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Back To Rochester

I liked Martini Grille, there's a few good places in the Village Gate. I also am a fan of Gusto. I liked Aladins in Pittsford along the Canal. (I moved about a year ago, so I've tried a bunch of places once, but only once!) Black & Blue in Pittsford is really good if you want something nicer. Pomodoro Grill and Wine Bar was good too.

As far as hotels go, my parents stayed at the Renaissance Del Monte in Pittsford when they came to visit and really liked that. My coworkers stayed at the Double Tree in Henrietta when we had a meeting, that was a nice one. Can't give any personal experiences besides those though!

washington, dc
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Back To Rochester

kat228,

thank you for your suggestions! i think i will definitely check out martine grille. i used to like a place called olives or something like that on monroe avenue... i have to look that up and see if it is still there. i know "oscar's" is gone also.

Rochester, New York
Destination Expert
for Rochester
Level Contributor
452 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Back To Rochester

The only Olives I know of is in Pittsford on the canal. You may be thinking of the Olive Tree which is still on Monroe Ave. Both serve Greek food and both are pretty good, a cut above standard Greek-American fare.

Hotel choices in Rochester proper are somewhat limited, mostly downtown. I think if you search the forum you'll find a fair amount of info on lodging. Same with restaurants. I'd offer more suggestions but I've been out of the hip & trendy loop for while. Try rocwiki.org for plenty of opinionated restaurant reviews.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Back To Rochester

The Hyatt downtown is nice, Inn on Broadway (formerly University Club) is very nice with a great restaurant. Delmonte Lodge in Pittsford on the Canal. There's a new Holiday Inn Express at the corner of Clover and Monroe in Pittsford. If you want to go out further, the Lodge at Woodcliff in Perinton is very nice.

The East End (East Ave between Alexander Street and Gibbs Street) has several new restaurants and bars. 2 Vine is very nice. Matthew's Grill on East is a good all-American pub-style place with good food and cold beer. Veneto's on East is good. Gusto on Alexander is good (small place). I like the bar at Bamba Bistro on Alexander. Jine's on Park just remodeled. There are two newer places at the corner of Park and Berkeley that are very nice.

If you like waterfront places, drive North up to Charlotte and Summerville. Go to Pelican's Nest in Charlotte, near the beach, or to O'Loughlin's and Schooners in Summerville (take St. Paul Boulevard to the end for O'lies and Schooners is off Pattonwood, in Shumway Marina). Both great bars with decent pub food. Entertainment at Pelican and Schooners. Boats pull up at all 3.

Check out the Wild Hearts catamaran that sails out of the Genesee River into Lake Ontario daily. www.wildheartscharters.com. Great sunset cruise. Board just south of Pelican's Nest. You can make reservations online.

5. Re: Traveling Back To Rochester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Rochester