We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strong National Museum of Play

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Strong National Museum of Play

Hi! We are planning a road trip to Rochester just to take our girls to visit the Strong museum. I heard it is a fabulous place for children! We're really looking forward to it. My question is would it be reasonably quiet on a Friday in April? I am hoping to hit the museum at a quiet time as I hate crowds! LOL!

Where would you recommend we have dinner in the Rochester area for a family with young children. Would the Cheesecake Factory be worth the drive? Would that place be insane on a Friday night? We are staying right in Rochester.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice/comments!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

My family loves the Strong Museum. It is on par with the Boston Children's Museum, which is also fabulous. I can't really answer the crowds question other than to say you should avoid April 10 and April 17 due to the school holiday. I also can't help with a restaurant, but the Rochester folks will be along shortly to help.

Have fun!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

Avoid Easter and go during the week, you'll be sure to avoid the crowds. Friday night would be busy for the Cheesecake Factory, but it's not that far of a drive, maybe 15-20 minutes depending on where you're coming from.

Where in Rochester are you staying? There are lots of locally owned places I would suggest over the Cheesecake Factory. Any place is going to be busy on a Friday night, but some less than others.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

Thank you for your comments! We are NOT going Easter weekend as I knew it would probably be insane everywhere! We are staying near Pittsford (thus I knew the Cheesecake Factory is relatively close). Our hotel has kitchen facilities...may consider getting take out so the girls can relax and eat after a long day of driving and playing. Any good take out restaurants???

Rochester, New York
Destination Expert
for Rochester
Level Contributor
435 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

I don't know if you like Japanese food but the Plum Garden in Pittsford Plaza on Monroe Ave. does hibachi, which a lot of kids like, although really young ones might be a little scared of the flames. But the chefs are usually pretty entertaining and it's noisy enough that kids won't disturb anyone.

I imagine just about any restaurant can do a to-go order but for the basics, right in the village there's a Pontillo's Pizza, and the Pittsford Pub has the usual pub grub. The Pittsford Wegmans is considered a tourist attraction in its own right and you could easily put together a to-go meal there too.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

We have wonderful locally owned restaurants -- so I wouldn't suggest a trip to Cheesecake Factory, which you can visit anyplace really.

If you go early I'd recommend Dinosaur Barbecue (it can be a zoo if you go at crunch time though).

www.dinosaurbarbque.com/rochesterIndex.php

Veneto is our favorite place and certainly family friendly.

http://venetorestaurant.com/

For our favorite diner I'd suggest Jines - great breakfasts!!!

http://www.jinesrestaurant.com/

If your kids are somewhat adventurous eaters we love Sinbads.

http://rocwiki.org/Sinbad's

(It seems they don't really have a web site.)

You might want to stop by the Eastman House and the Rochester Museum and Science Center too! Have a great trip!!!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

I believe that spring break for many schools begins on April 20th this year... so the museum will be totally crazy all that week. You can hardly walk in there during the school holidays.

Good luck!

Lynn in Rochester, NY

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

Thanks everyone! We made our trip to Rochester and the Museum. It was FABULOUS! We went on a school day and the museum was wondefully empty! However, when we were about to leave around 5ish, it got really busy with the after school kids. I can only imagine what that place is like on a school holiday! We had a wondeful time there and I'm sure we'll be taking the girls back there soon again.

We did end up eating at Cheesecake Factory because we love it there and we don't have one in Canada. We used the To Go and LOVED it! When we drove up, we saw the guy waiting at the door with our order ready to run up to our car to deliver the food! No need to get out of the car or wait. Better than drive through!

Thanks again everyone for your comments!

8. Re: Strong National Museum of Play

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 01:19