We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

Which Rochester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

My family may be moving to the Rochester area for a 2-year opportunity with RIT. We'd like to scout out potential neighborhoods for house/condo/apt. renting. Brighton strikes us as a quite suburban, so we're hoping to check out a few areas within Rochester.

We're actually camping down at by Canandaigua (because we also want to get a taste of the Finger Lakes while we're up) and hope to drive into Rochester, park here and there and walk around a few different parts of the city over the weekend.

Do you have any recommendations on nice routes/neighborhoods to stroll through?

Our ideal neighborhood would have grocery shopping within walking distance and nice walks/parks for little kids. Even better, would be a neighborhood with food, shopping, AND A DOG PARK within walking distance, or reasonable drive.

Thanks so much for your time and help!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

This might get Owled as it's not "travel" related, feel free to PM me if it does, I'll be happy to help.

Just a few questions for you...do you have kids, how old? If you do, are you open to private schools or do you want them to be in good public schools?

There's a current movement to get more dog parks in Monroe County...right now there is only ONE official one! Here's the information I've been watching http://rocwiki.org/Dog_Parks Most parks you're fine to take your dog, as long as it's on a leash. Though as mentioned on that site, there are quite a few "unofficial" dog parks (like Ellison, which we go to on occasion.) We keep our pup on a leash because he's only 6 months old and a little Malti-poo...he frightens easily when a larger dog comes running up! If you need a vet, I highly recommend Brighton Animal Hospital.

If you want a nice neighborhood in the city, check out Corn Hill or East Ave.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

Thanks for the advice! Oh, I hope it doesn't get 'Owled'

I should amend my question to really focus on some good Rochester walks/strolls. We spend a lot of our vacation time meandering/poking around cities with our dog ;-)

Schools, etc, aren't really of concern yet. Just looking for safe neighborhoods to explore!

Thanks again!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

Check out the Genesee Riverway Trail www.cityofrochester.gov/article.aspx…

East Ave as I mentioned, towards University Ave, that general area is a nice section of the city, older mansions. A nice area, not really touristy.

Check out Durand-Eastman Park...not really "in" the city, but it's gorgeous right up on the lake.

Corn Hill is a neat neighborhood.

The Park Ave area is also nice, kind of trendy, not really touristy.

Hope this at least gives you a jumping off point!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

I'm really having trouble thinking of any neighborhoods within walking distance of grocery shopping. Wegman's around East Ave. comes to mind...anybody got any other ideas?

Lynn in Rochester, NY

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

That's the only one I can think of Lynn.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

If you have school age children I would look in the Brighton School District-best school district that's close to the city. If not, living in the Park Ave/East Ave would be a great area to live for a few years. For a small city, Rochester has lots to offer and this is a great location for theatre, museums, restaurants...and is safe. Rochester is dog friendly and as long as you clean up, you can walk your dogs anywhere. You will love Rochester and just may want to stay longer.

7. Re: Walks or routes for good neighborhood strolls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 05:16