We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An hour to kill with a 12yo?

Which Rochester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
An hour to kill with a 12yo?

I'll be in Rochester in August taking my 17yo to visit colleges. I'll also have my 12yo with me. During part of the day, we will leave the 17yo on campus at U of Rochester and have an hour or so to kill on our own. Any suggestions for something fun we can do somewhat near the campus? Although I'd love to visit the Science Museum or the Museum of Play, those seem like they wouldn't be worthwhile to pay for for such a short visit. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

There's a really nice greenhouse not too far away, free admission so you can spend as little or as much time as you'd like. Look up the Lamberton Conservatory in Highland Park, it's about a five minute drive.

You'll also be even closer to the Mt. Hope Cemetery, which is a beautiful park like cemetery where walking around sightseeing is completely acceptable. There are a couple of historical figures buried there, notably Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglas, but you could have a nice stroll without ever stopping at those sites.

There's also a park directly south of the campus, Genesee Valley Park. It's Ok, but more of a recreational usage area.

I know there's something else nearby, it just isn't coming to me yet.

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

Made a small error - I just remembered Lamberton Conservatory has started charging a small admission fee, I think it's a couple of dollars.

Sorry.

Vermont
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

Mclee19, thanks for the replies, I'll look into those.

Vermont
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

Can you tour the castle there? I think my 12yo may be more interested in the castle than the gardens ;-)

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

Sorry for the delay, and to be honest, I'm not sure. I may have to go right past there in the next couple of days, if I remember I'll check.

Vermont
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

Thanks. Looks like there's a mini golf an go cart place around there as well, so we may try that instead.

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

The one on Jay Scutti Blvd in Henrietta? I know there used to be one on Scottsville Rd, but was fairly certain that closed down.

Other than traffic volume, that's fairly easy to get to. I might suggest this route instead of anything a GPS will do, though, as making the two lefts from W. Henrietta Rd. can be burdensome at times. This is a little longer, but it lets you do a right onto Jay Scutti Blvd. It may be unnecessary, I just detest the W. Henrietta/Jefferson Rd intersection, and I'm often on Jay Scutti Blvd. as there's a good used CD store there :)

http://goo.gl/maps/F6yKK

Also keep in mind that if you use a GPS that has you taking Kendrick Road south across the expressway to River Road, there is MAJOR construction going on there, as in they're rebuilding the off ramp. I haven't driven it personally since construction started, but would still avoid that if possible.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 18:12
8. Re: An hour to kill with a 12yo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 07:19